New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 activation

I have a Samsung Ultra 9 series laptop, purchased in early 2013.

For the last few months the Activation screen pops up and ask me to activate Windows online.

I have tried many times, but the machine won't accept the product number, which is correct.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks
    Any significant mods to the system?
    ...Like an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Any significant mods to the system?
    ...Like an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8?
    No, the laptop came with Windows 8.

I used BelArc Advisor to check the numbers and the product code I had was correct.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RaezoR View Post
    No, the laptop came with Windows 8.

I used BelArc Advisor to check the numbers and the product code I had was correct.
    Not necessarily. Belarc and Magical Jelly Bean both give incorrect Product Keys for my system. Have you tried the 800 call to Microsoft?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't rung Microsoft, I live in Norway. But the Activation sequence tells you the last numbers of the activation code and they match the numbers I have.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RaezoR View Post
    I haven't rung Microsoft, I live in Norway. But the Activation sequence tells you the last numbers of the activation code and they match the numbers I have.
    As I said in post #4, the code you're getting from Belarc may not necessarily be the correct code. See this thread. Is there a COA sticker on your laptop?

Also, it is my understanding that Microsoft has a phone presence in all market regions. Is the number that comes up after activation failure not relevant to your location? Here in the US it is an 800 number; I don't know what the equivalent would be in Norway.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-02-02 at 10:04. Reason: added link
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Bruce is correct. Follow the Phone Activation procedure given here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929?wa=wsignin1.0

It will give you a local phone number.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Had a similar problem about a year ago when updating Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. The Windows Store showed the 8.1 update/upgrade as available (meaning i had done all required updates to 8 to "qualify" for the upgrade). The upgrade took a while and seemed to complete successfully. Afterwards i began seeing the Activate Windows popup message. Automatic activation by phone did not work so i called a special phone number and a real person gave me a new code to type in ... and it worked! Right after that i created a full system image backup so i'll never have to jump through those hoops again.

The only other problem was when restoring the original factory image of Win 8 Pro on a laptop i forgot to install Windows Media Center with the free code i had from Microsoft (it was an early limited time thing). Then i did the upgrade to 8.1 Pro and tried to install Media Center, but the free code doesn't work on Win 8.1 - arghh!! So, i wound up installing XBMC which works OK but isn't so easy to use as Media Center, maybe because i'm accustomed to how Media Center works.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    The only other problem was when restoring the original factory image of Win 8 Pro on a laptop i forgot to install Windows Media Center with the free code i had from Microsoft (it was an early limited time thing). Then i did the upgrade to 8.1 Pro and tried to install Media Center, but the free code doesn't work on Win 8.1 - arghh!! So, i wound up installing XBMC which works OK but isn't so easy to use as Media Center, maybe because i'm accustomed to how Media Center works.
    My Media Center Pack code worked for me when I tried out a Repair/Reinstall. Did you go through "Add features to Windows"?

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I rang Microsoft and they weren't much help. They said I had to rollback to Windows 8, then reinstall 8,1. Any help on the rollback would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    My Media Center Pack code worked for me when I tried out a Repair/Reinstall. Did you go through "Add features to Windows"?
    Yes i went through "Add features to Windows" and it didn't work.

The explanation of why it failed lies in the exact software and sequence of installation.

Microsoft customer service explained carefully and politely that my free Media Center product key works only if i install Media Center on Win 8, and that it will not work if i've already updated to Win 8.1. My only option is to start over and install Win 8 and Media Center before updating to Win 8.1.

To be clear i do not have a Win 8.1 disc or a downloaded Win 8.1 .iso. And, my Windows 8 product/activation key only works for Win 8, not for 8.1.

Rather than start over i chose instead to keep 8.1 and install XBMC. My use for it is to view TV shows recorded on a different computer on our home network, and it works fine for that. So, while it would have been convenient to have exactly the same Media Center interface as i have on other computers in the house, it's not at all essential for accessing/viewing recordings stored on a big hard drive in the living room.

Thanks
    You can download Windows 8.1 directly from Microsoft at this link. You don't need a Product Key to get the ISO. There is a walk-through here. I did a repair/reinstall with the downloaded ISO on a USB thumb drive, used my Windows 8 Upgrade Product Key, and then installed Media Center via "Add features to Windows", and my free Media Center Product Key that I received from MS when I originally upgraded to Windows 8 worked just fine in Windows 8.1 after the repair/reinstall.

Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can download Windows 8.1 directly from Microsoft at this link. You don't need a Product Key to get the ISO. There is a walk-through here. I did a repair/reinstall with the downloaded ISO on a USB thumb drive, used my Windows 8 Upgrade Product Key, and then installed Media Center via "Add features to Windows", and my free Media Center Product Key that I received from MS when I originally upgraded to Windows 8 worked just fine in Windows 8.1 after the repair/reinstall.
    Thanks for the tip. If i ever decide to go through the whole process again i will surely try the method you have suggested!

Was there any difficulty regarding the need for an existing Windows OS in order to use the Win 8.1 Upgrade version?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    Thanks for the tip. If i ever decide to go through the whole process again i will surely try the method you have suggested!

Was there any difficulty regarding the need for an existing Windows OS in order to use the Win 8.1 Upgrade version?
    I haven't tried a clean install, so I can't answer that one.

Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't tried a clean install, so I can't answer that one.
    Mmm, guess i could always install my full retail copy of Win 98 to qualify ....