New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2007 POP account won't retain (or accept) password

upgraded computer to Win 7 x64 installed office 2007, ran patches, used easy transfer to move user account, set up outlook for a POP email account, Under the "Logon Information" where the user name and password are input ( and the remember password box is usually checked)now the outlook password field is greyed out, requires manual input of pw each time. I tried safe mode, tried hotfix 957909, the registry fix UseWindowsUserCredentials value to 1, DWORD "EnableRememberPwd" value from 0 to 1 fix. deleted profile, uninstalled and reinstalled office, created new profile without using easy transferr

This did not fix the problem

I am about ready to format and reinstall everything...... Thanks in advance for suggestions
    Last edited by bobmcaap; 2015-02-02 at 11:37.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you tried manual configuration of the account? See [urlhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/287532]How to setup Internet email accounts in Outlook 2007[/url] for details.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Have you tried manual configuration of the account? See [urlhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/287532]How to setup Internet email accounts in Outlook 2007[/url] for details.

Joe
    That is how I did it, in outlook, manually configure settings, PW field greyed out, and in "control panel". "mail" settings same thing

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you install the latest service pack - SP3? KB957909 should have been part of that and should not have installed if you were up-to-date with service packs and patches.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

bobmcaap (2015-02-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    1st install was complete went to Microsoft update, ran all, prior to setting up the account, that is when first found the problem, then tried all the manual changes, then deleted profiles, created new profile, still no work, next uninstalled office, reinstalled office, created profile, and before any updates tried to create the account - still no luck

Administrator
    Thanks
    See if method 2 or 3 at Save password setting not retained in Outlook help.

Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

bobmcaap (2015-02-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for the delay in response, (work had me on travel) method 2 was done without any luck, n Method 3 would not work, that particular registry line could not be deleted or removed. looks like I will just have to try a format & fresh-install this weekend