New Lounger
    Thanks

List format renumber also redefines style

I discovered this in VBA, but it happens with vanilla Word too. I'm including code at the end anyway, but I don't think it's the code that's the problem.

I have a couple of styles called "Alpha List" and "Number List." The Number List style has a left indent of 0.12". When I right-click on a paragraph of that style and choose to set the numbering value, it updates the style. It does ask me first: 'Changing the number format for this list updates the style "Number List" and reapplies the style to each paragraph. Do you want to continue?"

When I choose Yes, the style changes to a left indent of 0.37". Now each new paragraph I format to Number List (as well as paragraphs already formatted) has the new indent.

What am I missing in Word?

As stated before, here's the code I was using when I noticed the problem, but it happens even without VBA, so I doubt that's the issue. I suspect it's doing the exact thing as the manual process except that it doesn't prompt a message box.

Code:
    Sub RestartNumbering()
    Dim myLF As ListFormat

On Error GoTo Restart_Numbering_Error

If Selection.Range.Style = "Alpha List" Or _
            Selection.Range.Style = "Number List" Then

Set myLF = Selection.Range.ListFormat
            myLF.ApplyListTemplate ListTemplate:=myLF.ListTemplate, _
                ContinuePreviousList:=False

Else

MsgBox "Selection is not an approved numbered or alpha list.  " & _
                "Please select a numbered or alpha list and try again.", vbExclamation, _
                "Not a valid list"

End If

End Sub

Thanks
    Numbering lists are best set linked to styles. The ones you are working with apparently were.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20130510174814/http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html

The idea of styles is uniform formatting of like-purposed text.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

Kuildeous (2015-02-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hoping to deconstruct what's happening with my styles. When I examine the Number List style the way it should be set, I have the following settings:

Font: (Default) Verdana, 11 pt, Indent:
    Left: 0.12"
    Hanging: 0.25", Left
    Line spacing: single, Widow/Orphan control, Numbered + Level: 1 + Numbering Style: 1, 2, 3, … + Start at: 1 + Alignment: Left + Aligned at: 0.37" + Indent at: 0.62", Style: Quick Style

After I restart numbering, the settings change to:

Font: (Default) Verdana, 11 pt, Indent:
    Left: 0.37"
    Hanging: 0.25", Left
    Line spacing: single, Widow/Orphan control, Numbered + Level: 1 + Numbering Style: 1, 2, 3, … + Start at: 1 + Alignment: Left + Aligned at: 0.37" + Indent at: 0.62", Style: Quick Style

It seems like the 0.37" at the second alignment is affecting this, but I'm not sure how to fix that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    Numbering lists are best set linked to styles. The ones you are working with apparently were.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20130510174814/http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html
    I believe that reading this link may have set me straight. I'm still in Word 2003 thinking. But now that I have a better understanding of List Styles, I hope to make things really work. Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The fix is to set the indents in the numbering, not the paragraph or, if the paragraph indent is already set, make the start-at value for the number level the same as the indent. When they are the same, you'll get the same indent when you restart of change the number value.

When you set the number level's start-at and link a paragraph style to it, Word changes the paragraph indent to the same value--if a paragraph indent has not been set. Setting a paragraph indent does not affect a number level start-at value though.
    Pam Caswell

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PamCaswell For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2015-02-07),Kuildeous (2015-02-12)