Star Lounger
    Thanks

transferring email sent items

I am trying to transfer email "sent items" from vista mail to windows live mail (not win 8 mail) on a different computer with 8.1 OS. I export "sent items" in "windows mail" format to the desktop in an empty file, transfer the file to the win 8 computer and import it to win live mail. I get a list of the sent items in an "imported folder" but both the name and recipient are missing. Instead under "name" there is a 16+ digit number. Anyone know what I am doing wrong please. mcbn

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What happens if you drag'n'drop them from one sent folder to the other?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

mcbn (2015-02-02)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks tonyl. Didn't work I am afraid. It does work if you drop and drag from one windows live mail to another windows live mail.
    There appears to be subtle format changes between vista mail,windows live mail and windows 8.1 mail. perhaps some form of conversion prog. is necessary though MS instructions suggest that the export /import procedure I used should work.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This article, in Method 2, suggests drag and drop via an Explorer folder (but is much older than Windows 8.1): Moving Messages from Vista’s Windows Mail to Windows Live Mail

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

mcbn (2015-02-03)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks BruceR. A partial success. I can drag and drop individual emails and most of the format is retained but I can't get it to work for a whole folder such as "sent items". Very tedious but better than nothing

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbn View Post
    Thanks BruceR. A partial success. I can drag and drop individual emails and most of the format is retained but I can't get it to work for a whole folder such as "sent items". Very tedious but better than nothing
    To select a whole folder-full, use <ctrl+A>.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

mcbn (2015-02-05)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbn View Post
    If you have the entire contents of a folder displayed (e.g.: "Sent Items") then click on any email in that folder (to select it) then press Ctrl-A (on your keyboard) to select all emails in that folder. Then drag the selection to an Explorer folder (once you have dragged the selection to the Explorer folder and release the left mouse button the emails should be copied to the folder with .eml file extensions, which can then be imported to another email program).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

bonalba (2015-02-05),mcbn (2015-02-05)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. The Ctrl+A shortcut worked (why couldn't I think of that)so problem solved. I think I now know why method 1 in the article Bobr referenced didn't work. I tried to transfer between computers using a USB memory stick it only transferred an empty folder whereas if I transfer the Explorer file over a LAN it seems to work OK. Thanks again for the help.