Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing mouse

Thanks

Replacing mouse

I am running Win7 Pro X64

Like grapes, problems come in bunches!

My trusty MSIntellimouse 1.1A PS/2 compatible, finally quit working last night. Boy is it hard to use keystrokes to communicate with the OS when your mouse goes. I never did discover how to invoke Start>Shut down without a mouse. I did manage to close my open windows.

1) Has anyone rewired one of these? I'm pretty sure that the failure point is where the mouse cable enters the mouse. Has anyone seen a good tutorial showing where to press on the case to separate top from bottom and what parts may go flying in the process if you are not prepared?

2) If I purchase a new mouse, what makes the most sense? I am pretty happy with the classic "Dove bar" wheel mouse I've been using.

3) Since my last mouse failed because of the wire, should I go wireless? Is Bluetooth better than other wireless protocols?

4) I have a cheap USB Bluetooth dongle I got at Fry's and Bluesoleil installed.

5) Save for an optical mouse I used at work that needed a fancy cross-hatched metallic mousepad, all my mice have been mechanical ones based on the rolling rubber ball and two rotating bars. Should I select a wireless mouse in preference to a mechanical one?

6) Please address anything I failed to ask about.
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would go straight to wireless. The mouse will come with a dongle.
    All mice these days are optical - cheaper and more reliable. (maybe not all are optical, I've not looked very hard)
    Whilst you are at it you may consider a wireless mouse / keyboard pair.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Personally I use USB Optical mice on all my computers. They are cheap and they last for Mannnnny years. 1 thing that I have found is that a black mousepad works best with an optical mouse.
    HTH

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Consider a trackball; you don't run out of real estate on your desktop or mousepad. My wife and I are irreconcilable on this!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnFleming For This Useful Post:

Ralfus (2015-02-08)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1. Never done it, but I just had a quick Google and there's plenty out there.
    2. Definitely consider a wheel mouse.
    3. Wireless has its advantages, but stock up on batteries...
    4. Yeah, bluetooth. It's short-distance.
    5. I think you mean optical mouse - yes, definitely optical. Mine works on any surface, even plain ones. Don't ask me how.

Funnily enough, I've just bought a new one, a small Microsoft optical one for my laptop. On my desktop machine, I'm still using only the second mouse I ever bought, another MS one of the ball type. I'm forever cleaning it, and I'm so impressed with the new one I'm on the lookout for another optical one. I just need to find a USB to DIN adaptor, as I want to keep the USB ports free. Plenty on the market, but they're all the solid type, not inline, and they put a strain on the motherboard, not to mention the space they use.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I've become accustomed to a "comfort keyboard' that I got with a Dell machine I got back in '98 or '99. I think the mouse came with it, too. On my 'to do but never done' list is to open the keyboard and clean the <Return> key so that it stops sticking. Keyboards are often hard to adapt to. I learned to type on a typewriter so I like some tactile and even audible feedback. This one seems to work for me.

After doing a bit more searching, I see that mouse designers and other users haven't discovered what I did years ago. Using a mouse, especially to draw, is a right-brain activity. I quickly adapted to a mouse to the left of my keyboard. That leaves the right hand free to use the navigation and number keys on the right side of my keyboard. The old 'intellimouse' is slightly right-handed but not obtrusively.

That means I'm in the ambidextrous mouse camp, and rules out some designs altogether.

I see that wireless mice use batteries. If you've not tried low-discharge NiMH AA and AAA batteries, I find them a 'good deal' in most applications.

There are way too many versions of the PS/2 mouse out there to find a how-to for each one. This one is a MS 63618 OEM 1402914-00000 and P/N X03-65047. It must just snap together.
    Last edited by baumgrenze; 2015-02-02 at 15:10. Reason: hanging line left
    Baumgrenze

Thanks
    My optical wireless mouse comes with software which allows you to modify which button does what. So you can have an ambidextrous mouse. I suspect most if not all mice come with similar SW nowadays.

Thanks

Some Mice are Physically Asymmetric

Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    My optical wireless mouse comes with software which allows you to modify which button does what. So you can have an ambidextrous mouse. I suspect most if not all mice come with similar SW nowadays.
    Some mice are grossly asymmetric and most of those only fit the right hand comfortably.

I just installed an HP X4000 and it seems 'oversensitive' to hand movements.

The switching of the button function is resident in Control Panel. I just found that a setting there, 'enhanced pointer precision,' was checked. Unchecking it made the pointer 'less fussy,' I think. Time will tell.
    Baumgrenze

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have not needed to stock up on batteries for the wireless mouse, it goes to sleep when you don't move it for a minute or two.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Same here Paul but when the battery does go, it goes instantly - or so it seems to me!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The mouse driver should have a low battery warning pop up. Maybe not on older mice.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Same here but I have two sets of rechargeable batteries, so just switch between them when the mouse stops. Wireless mouse is so much more convenient than wired mouse. Mine is M$ Wireless Mouse 2000. About two years old now. Ambidextrous, since I broke my right wrist early 1990s so learned to use mouse w/ left hand, and sometimes continue to do so.

Over the years I have found M$ keyboard/mouse to be more reliable than others. 2nd choice would be Logitech. No 3rd choice...
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    M$ Wireless Mouse 2000. About two years old now.
    Nice to see they keep up!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I've had two MS wireless mice. The grips on the sides were coated with a none slip rubberised compound. After a year or two, it started to break down into a sticky black mess. I'm now using an MS Comfort Optical 3000 usb mouse, which doesn't have the compound. Of course, it also doesn't need batteries, so no need to worry about them going flat.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    <snip>
    Over the years I have found M$ keyboard/mouse to be more reliable than others.
    +1.

My MS mouse is second to none on quality. It just suffers from dirt, but cleaned it's as good as new.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast