Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Windows 7 and Windows XP show no signs of dying

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2015-02-02)

Thanks
    How true. I was extremely upset at having to go to Win 7 but it wasn't nearly the leap that Win 8 posed and I figured that win 7 was good until 2020. Now I'm sweating over jumping to Win 10, LOL.
    Smart move by MS to offer the free upgrades.

Thanks
    Actually, Windows 8 configured properly is really no different than Windows 7 plus a free optional mobile interface. You didn't really have to use the mobile GUI if you didn't want it. I was turned off by Windows 8 when I first saw it, but after working with it for awhile, I grew to like it.

Jerry

Thanks
    If I knew as much about windows as you and a number of others on this forum, it probably wouldn't be such a stressful decision to jump into a new OS. After just less than a year, I am finally somewhat comfortable trying to navigate win 7 ( thank God for this forum and google ).
    Anyway, it looks like I will have some time to think about it and maybe build a box to try Win 10 on before the leap, or not. I will certainly be following the post's.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    If I knew as much about windows as you and a number of others on this forum, it probably wouldn't be such a stressful decision to jump into a new OS. After just less than a year, I am finally somewhat comfortable trying to navigate win 7 ( thank God for this forum and google ).
    Well said! In 2012 I got Win 7 in a nice new fast computer. Some will laugh but I'm still learning things about Win 7 even after reading several books about it. No, I'm not slow, I just need incentive. Like many I jumped right over Vista so I knew and was used to XP. Win 7 has some nice features I admit, but it also took away some of the things I liked about XP. There always seems to be some trade-offs. When 2020 comes I will probably still be using my Win 7, and still maybe have my XP laptop. The Internet will be too dangerous to use so I'll probably just play games on them and my Win 98 machine. Incentive will determine whether I go with Win 10, or 10.1, or 11.

Thanks
    Anybody on this forum who says they know everything about an OS (any OS) is deluding themselves *. Even after many years.
    One thing I miss about work now I'm retired is watching how people do various things in Windows. If it was better than the way I did it then I tried to learn it and change. I've made some changes since retirement purely because of suggestions made by people on this forum.
    So if anyone laughs at you, the joke is on them

* BTW, I don't think anyone on this forum would claim to know everything about any OS...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Still use mainly my XP VM (as a sandbox). I do have a Win7 VM as well, but it uses more resources then XP and XP with Chrome variant browser works perfectly fine for me.

Thanks
    Any OS will only die if you let it. Screw MS.....they can yell, scream and stomp their feet all they want, as well as stop their so-called support and our old Xp and even Windows 7 will .....

My everyday, MAIN, OS is still Windows XP-Pro-SP3 (32 bit) and it's still running GREAT. I turned off Windows Updates several years ago, when updates were corrupting the OS and creating all sorts of problems.
    I use a "Package" of security software that keeps my PC 100% malware free. Again, I say "Screw Microsoft, and their so-called Support".

If I pick a new OS, it certainly wont' be because of MS Support, but for certain attributes that I want and need.

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10? I still use the 'Classic Shell' and "Grant Admin Full control" , so I can make the OS "MINE".

I set up every OS to work best for me. I don't intend to work for the OS.

Windows 10 is just fine....with a few tweaks of my own. I'm currently running the 64 bit version on a spare HD on my 10 yr old Desktop, and the 32 bit version on a little 6 yr old HP laptop.

If forced to use it as my everyday OS, I could do that, with NO Problems. It's a good, solid, OS, or so it would seem, based on what I've seen in the Technical Preview 9926.
    The 32 bit ver. will even play old 16 bit software. What's not to like?

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2015-02-16 at 10:12.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 will die when the free upgrade to 10 comes around. There's no incentive for the regular user to go from the working and familiar 7 to 8, more so now that the update has been announced. XP on the other hand, that's not going anywhere. XP users have ignored Vista, 7 and 8, they'll ignore 10 as well.

Thanks
    XP on the other hand, that's not going anywhere. XP users have ignored Vista, 7 and 8, they'll ignore 10 as well
    1- As far as I know there is no upgrade from XP to 7,8, or 10. It's all or nothing.
    2- A lot of people ( me included ) keep an XP computer around just for running older software. With safe computing and as "DrWho" say's a package of security software, there will be quite a few XP installations for some time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I hated 7 but 8 is the first OS I've truly loved. MS finally got a lot of things right. I'm glad I've been using 8 for over two years now because 10 is a lot like 8 so I'm ahead of the learning curve for once!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    we still have some 98se boxes in frequent use

reading the article
    it sounds like ms has an incentive to develop their own scumware to sabotage xp users and entice them to move to subscription pricing with an undo/fixit program that installs win ten

Thanks

Cool

"wot yo talkin' bout, Willis?"

With Windows 8.1 already on the store shelves, the VA in 2014 upgraded their thousands of computer terminals (PC's) from Windows XP Pro to Windows 7.
    I was actually surprised that XP lived so long on those Government terminals. But by now, Windows 7 is a pretty solid OS and not so different from XP as to require a long learning curve by the operators. (people who are not computer geniuses, but merely casual operators.)
    They probably won't even realize there's been a change.

But, for many people there is just NO reason to even think about a new OS, and many don't even know that there is one, and couldn't care less. As long as their computer keeps doing what they need it to do, they are happy.

Last edited by DrWho; 2015-02-16 at 11:17.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    let’s start with the facts; despite what many people may think, Windows XP is still hugely popular. How popular? 1 in 4 PCs are still running it:

25% of operating systems are Windows XP even if there is no customer support for it

This is worldwide usage by operating system and clearly XP still has a very strong foothold. What’s more, the current rate of decline means it will still have a strong foothold in a year from now – certainly way more than what OSX does today. It’s significant.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMScott View Post
    ...the current rate of decline means it will still have a strong foothold in a year from now...
    The wildcard is what will happen with Windows 10. M$ seems to be going to a lot of trouble with Win10 beta testing, so when it is ready for release later in 2015 there are likely to be compelling reasons for XP diehards to upgrade.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast