New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Scary discovery about hacked Hotmail and related accounts

I've been trying to help a friend whose hotmail account was hacked. The hacker took over the account and enabled 2FA (two-factor authentication). Microsoft Support (after escalation) says that while they could normally reset the password, problem solved, with 2FA enabled they cannot do anything. So I guess this security feature has a major downside!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timmy2 For This Useful Post:

scaisson (2015-02-08),T.K (2015-02-04)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    That's quite a downside. The best thing is to enable two-factor authentication as soon as you can.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Or use proper passwords and security questions on your email accounts.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    screwed blued and tattooed

i dont want 2 factor at all
    pain in the butt

so which is worse
    risking they can hack me and take the account
    or risk i screw up and ms cant fix it eitehr

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Or use proper passwords and security questions on your email accounts.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I never use real answers to security questions and I always use generated passwords, all saved in my Password Manager. If someone manages to hack my account I can (hopefully) get it back.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you timmy2 for sharing your story. Another poster mentioned that it is good to use 2 factor authentication (before the bad guy), yet I sympathize with those who find it cumbersome to routinely use. I logged into my hotmail account to investigate 2 factor authentication and discovered that while I was not utilizing 2 factor authentication I did have an alternate email address and phone number (which can receive text codes) associated with my account.
    To make a long story short, I was unable to edit or change any security data, passwords or add 2 factor authentication without a secondary verification. For those not wanting 2 factor authentication, look into whether you can add 2 factor authentication for only making changes to your account.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sueska For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2015-02-16)

Thanks
    Have not long got home after attending several customers today. One customer's ADSL router was failing to log on to the ISP's authentication server due to a password error; the customer's router was configured with "abc123" for password. Strange that ISP was rejecting "abc123"? C'mon, this is 2015 and things have changed. "abc123" is obviously no longer acceptable - should by now be understood generally that passwords need to be min. 8 characters & combination of uppercase & lowercase letters and numbers. "abc123" ? crikey, any noob hacker would try that first!

Edit: should have noted the customer is 91 years old, so can be forgiven for not understanding about the need for strong passwords. Apparently the ISP emailed the cust. re the need to change the password some months ago but cust. did not understand the message so did nothing. More recently there was a mains power outage in the cust's area, which meant the cust's ADSL router could no longer authenticate with the ISP using the previous "abc123" password.

Problem was resolved by contacting the ISP's support to resolve the password problem.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-02-13 at 07:57. Reason: more info
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.