Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 download ISO files

I recently had to reinstall Windows on a Dell desktop that I bought from a refurbisher. It had Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 installed and a product key sticker on the case for Windows 7 Pro for Refurb PCs. (I had never heard of this version.) Upon checking the BIOS settings, I discovered that the OS had been installed in RAID/ATA mode, not RAID/AHCI mode, and the only good way to change this was to reinstall the OS. Since I had installed updates before realizing this, I opted to do a custom install and reformatted the hard drive. I downloaded the ISO file from the Microsoft Digital River link provided here: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59186.iso http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59186.iso The download was interrupted, I resumed it, and it completed at less than the stated size. I repeated this six times today on two different systems and got the same results. I burned several dvds with the iso file and none of them would boot the system. I went to Microsoft's Software Recovery site and put in the product key on the case, and could not download the software as the key was not accepted. The message said to contact the manufacturer. Aaaauuuugggghhhh to quote Snoopy.
    At this point my only options seemed to be: 1) see if I could buy a disk from the refurbisher; 2) see if I could buy a disk from Dell. Either of these options would entail another week wait before I could use the system. I thought, aha, I have a Windows 7 HP disk; I'll copy it, delete the ei.cfg file and burn it to a DVD. That wouldn't boot the system, either.
    I searched and found one other person on another forum who reported this problem. Surely, we are not the only ones. What is going on with the Windows software? Why is the 3.09gb iso file only 2.619gb when downloaded, and non-bootable? It looks like someone is deliberately causing the iso file downloads to interrupt and corrupt so they cannot be used to reinstall the OS.
    Anyone else try to download Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 media refresh ISO file lately?
    Kathy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Correction: The link was provided here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-1c8486a46ebf

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    They are the Media Refresh editions - try one of the older versions (X17-24281) http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...wnloads.12325/

A while ago I had similar problems downloading a Win 7 x64 HP so downloaded the Pro version and removed the eicfg which did the job for me, but was before the Media Refresh editions were released - of which I haven't had any problems with.

I don't know if you can do the same with Ultimate for your Win 7 Pro.....
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-03 at 04:23.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Please go here for working download links, without SP1 however: http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technol...download-links

The digitalrivercontent downloads are possibly being retired.

Thanks
    What software are you using to burn the DVD?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried X17-24281 and got two messages; first, that the file couldn't be downloaded, and on retry, that it was completed at 24,281KB, which of course is wrong. I looked at the X17-59186 ISO and it looks like all the files are there; however, the DVD when burned will not boot. I was able to burn the media refresh editions of HP 2 weeks ago, so either this is a new development, it is a problem with the Win7Pro ISO, or I'm doing something wrong. I will try your suggestions and post back with results. Thank you. Kathy

Thanks
    You also have the option of using the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm downloading X17-59186 now but as the download takes ~1hr 20mins on mine, I'll let you know how I get on later and I always use the Windows USB/DVD Tool to create the bootable ISOs.

Did you try the Win 7 Ultimate download ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-03 at 11:45.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Mine was also interrupted and on Resume only produced 2.4GB so I didn't bother wasting a DVD on it.

Which program did you use to burn the ISO when you created the disk a couple of weeks back ?

This is probably a silly question but I'm going to ask it anyway - did you change the boot order so that it booted from the ODD first ?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Mine was also interrupted and on Resume only produced 2.4GB so I didn't bother wasting a DVD on it.
    Which program did you use to burn the ISO when you created the disk a couple of weeks back ?
    This is probably a silly question but I'm going to ask it anyway - did you change the boot order so that it booted from the ODD first ?
    That is exactly what is happening to me. I am going to try with a download manager if I can find one that isn't full of adware.
    I used Windows 8 Disc Image Burner to burn the DVDs a couple weeks ago. This time, I used that and also tried Cyberlink Media Suite 10. I'm going to try Rufus with a USB stick next time if I can get the ISO to download.
    Yes and when it didn't boot, I restarted and entered setup and made sure the ODD was first in boot order.

Thank you. I appreciate your help very much.
    Kathy

Lounger
    Thanks
    The Windows USB/DVD Tool said it wasn't a valid ISO. Will d/l Win 7 Ultimate as soon as I find a decent download manager.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, that is what I used a couple weeks ago. But this time, it said the file wasn't a valid ISO file.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 8 Disk Image Burn and also tried Cyberlink Media Suite; no go on either one.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for this link. I did contact Jan and he gave me the Azure links to the old software without SP1, which I will use if I have no luck with a download manager on the Digital River links. I do suspect the downloads will be retired soon as they are (not really) being replaced with the Software Recovery. I tried that and it said my key was not valid. I suspect that Software Recovery only works with keys purchased retail or through MS, not OEM, not manufacturer installed, and definitely not refurbisher keys.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I now see how the reply function works. Should have replied with quotes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast