Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 Automatic Update broken

I have a Win8.1 system which was upgraded from Win7. Everything work as expected except the Automatic Windows Update.

On Checking Windows Updates in Control Panel > Windows Updates, the progress bar scrolls forever and there is no further response.

I had surfed the net for a solution, and the suggestions were aplenty, including making manual changes to the registry. I tried each one of them but Windows Update remains broken.

(My apology for not detailing the steps and suggestions that I had taken as I can't really remember them all. It happened a few months ago.)

Finally I resort to using Windows Powershell ISE, run it as an administrator, and use the command Get-WUInstall to check for, get and install available Windows updates.

This is how I update my Windows for almost half a year.

When I click on Windows Updates from the Control Panel, the dialogue window displayed the following message:

Most recent check for updates : Never

Updates were installed : Never

Actually the Windows Updates is set to Automatic Update. When I click on Installed Updates, all the updates done by the command Get-WUInstall in Windows Powershell ISE are displayed (the latest being 30/1/2015).

Can anyone advise me so that I can restore my automatic Windows Update without using Windows Powershell ISE?

Regards,

Lesoch

Thanks
    Try the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your prompt reply, Calimanco.

I think I have tried this before. Anyway I downloaded the program and ran the troubleshooter again. It displayed two errors fixed:

Service registration is missing or corrupt. Fixed.
    Problems installing recent updates. Fixed.

I ran the Windows Updates and searched manually for any updates.

Ten minutes has elapsed now. The progress bar again moved from left to right incessantly without any further response....

The dialogue window displayed the following message:

Most recent check for updates : Never
    Updates were installed : Never

How long should I wait? I will run it overnight. It is night time in this part of the world.

Thanks
    I've noticed that problem occasionally. I think its because the servers are busy. Sometimes it can take two or three tries. Try when its night in the US and there's less traffic.

Thanks
    Have you tried sfc /scannow from an elevated Command Prompt?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No joy. I let Windows Updates run over the night. It is still the same. As you said, there might be something amiss with the Microsoft server. Perhaps I try again later.

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks bbearren. I will give it a try and report back to you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Win 8/8.1 has a DISM command which could sort that and is run from Command Prompt (Admin) -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Give that a try and follow it up with the sfc /scannow if WUs still don't work, but you'll probably have to wait until this month's to see if it has worked.

There are also two other switches -

/checkhealth which will tell you if the system is repairable and /scanhealth which will tell you what is wrong.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-04 at 04:08.

Thanks
    CheckHealth will tell you if there is a problem. ScanHealth will tell you if the problem is repairable. RestoreHealth does the actual repair. Typically a run of sfc /scannow will show no problems after RestoreHealth has completed; it seems to be quite thorough.

DISM-sfc.PNG
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2015-02-04)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This is what I was going off https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../hh824869.aspx but in Win 7 where only the /scanhealth switch works, it tells you what is wrong and thought it was similar in Win 8/8.1 - but thanks for the illustration.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Heart-felt thanks to sudi15 and bbearren for your suggestions and hand-holding. I'm trying them out - the System File Checker and the Deployment Imaging & Servicing Management Tool. Microsoft's Tuesday patch is round the corner and a good time to see if my Windows Update is working. Hopefully when I report back later, it will be good news

Thanks
    It seems that the CheckHealth switch just makes a cursory evaluation for corruption of the online image, and reports either yes or no, but doesn't go much deeper than that. It runs very quickly. I suppose one would use that switch if no corruption was expected, and a simple confirmation that there is no corruption is all that is desired.

The ScanHealth switch actually mounts the online image (the CheckHealth switch doesn't appear to do that), examines it for corruption and if corruption is found, determines if that corruption is repairable. The default source for repair files is the image file used for Features on Demand. I suppose that if that source image file is corrupted, other options must be considered. From what I can determine, one can designate a different source for the repair image, such as perhaps an installation DVD, but I haven't had to go that far, so I can't say for sure.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-02-04 at 09:32. Reason: clarity

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Lesoch View Post
    Heart-felt thanks to sudi15 and bbearren for your suggestions and hand-holding. I'm trying them out - the System File Checker and the Deployment Imaging & Servicing Management Tool. Microsoft's Tuesday patch is round the corner and a good time to see if my Windows Update is working. Hopefully when I report back later, it will be good news
    Let us know what the ScanHealth and RestoreHealth report if you run the former as well.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    @ bbearen - I guess the scanhealth and restorehealth would be sufficient from your cmd window examples.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    @ bbearren - I guess the scanhealth and restorehealth would be sufficient from your cmd window examples.
    Yes, should be, but I would run sfc /scannow afterward, just for confirmation.

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast