Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving files from Server 2003 to Win7

I've been helping a local charity simplify their old but working network with a domain based setup. They've been using Server 2003 running Active Directory but that along with the desktop s/w is all very old hat. I've been called in late to the fray, as in they already decided on this downgrade to a workgroup setup, but we now need to move the user data that is on the old domain based server to a new datastore which is not a server and is running on Windows 7.

The two boxes can see and talk to each other and drag and drop of the dta is straightforward enough but I'm wondering how best to go about fixing the permissions either pre-copy or post?

Thoughts, suggestions on best approach? It's been too long since I dealt with permissions on a daily basis that I'm probably over-thinking this.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Too much thinking is bad for you m'kay.

There is the easy way and the hard way.

The Hard Way
    All files on the server will have permissions set and these need to be removed before you do anything else.
    1. Take ownership of all files.
    2. Grant everyone full access.
    3. Remove all other permissions.

The Easy Way
    Robocopy all the files without the permissions. (robocopy ServerA\dirA ServerB\dirB /DAT)

The advantage of the easy way is you can run robocopy several times to pick up all the files - RC only performs an incremental copy - then swap all users over in one go.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Too much thinking is bad for you m'kay.
    Awesome stuff Paul - I am robocopying as I type.

S.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I always migrate server using RC. The first run is data only and I let it run as long as is required, writing errors to a log. Then I go through the log to find all the permission errors and fix them - there are always permission errors, I don't know why. The second run is much quicker and hopefully has fewer errors to fix. Once a clean run has happened I am ready to run the final copy and migrate the users. The final copy is actually two copies, one data only, the second is permissions and owners. If you do the permissions early it will screw your copy because there are always permission issues (did I already mention that!?).

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    .... there are always permission issues (did I already mention that!?).
    I think you may have mentioned permission issues :)

Again, my thanks.