New Lounger
    Thanks

Need to Transfer A Specific List of 700 .ZIP Files Out of 10K Files From One Location to Another

Hi,

I have a little over 10,000 .ZIP files on a Seagate external drive connected to my windows 7 64 bit desktop and I need to transfer about 800 specific file names I have listed in an excel spreadsheet into another folder. I had the original 10K files stored on our box.com account but they do not offer any type of bulk downloading tool specific to what I need done. I had to download all files we've uploaded onto the external drive in order to extract the files I need one by one using BOX.com's sync desktop program.

There may be multiple variances of the root file name in my excel spreadsheet that I need, example: "153036" in my sheet may be listed in the external drive as "153036-S12", "153036-S13", "153036-S25", etc. I only have the order "number" in the excel spreadsheet = "153036", etc listed vertically with the column named: "NUMBER". I need ALL of the variances of that order number. I can put this list into a txt file no problem if it gets the job I need done.

The directory of the external folder which contains all 10K files is: "E:\box\Box Sync\Corporate Files\GCPPO_Files\"
    The directory I wish for the 800 specific file names to be transferred into is: "E:\box\FINAL\"

What's the best way to do this? Anything helps. If I can't get this to work ASAP I'll have to search the folder, copy and paste the 800+ files manually.

Thanks,
    -Johnny

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Having them in Excel makes it easy.

1. Add a couple of columns before and after the list.
    2. Enter the following exact text in the column before the list, so that it is on every line that has a file name.
    copy "E:\box\Box Sync\Corporate Files\GCPPO_Files\
    3. Enter the following exact text in the column after the list.
    *" E:\box\FINAL\
    4. Copy the 3 columns.
    5. Paste them into a proper editor. Notepad++ portable is excellent.
    6. In the editor perform a search and replace. Search for the TAB character and replace with nothing. In Notepad you search for "\t", without the quotes and select the Extended search mode option in the bottom left.
    You should be left with something like this.
    copy "E:\box\Box Sync\Corporate Files\GCPPO_Files\153036*" E:\box\FINAL\
    7. Save the lot to your desktop as "CopyBoxFiles.cmd".
    8. Double click on CopyBoxFiles.cmd.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

speedyjayz (2015-02-04)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To add to Paul's solution, if you create a further column with the entries in the first 3 appended using & (and appropriate spaces), then you get the required text in one column, and can then paste into the .cmd file in one go without any need to delete tabs.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mngerhold For This Useful Post:

Paul T (2015-02-04),speedyjayz (2015-02-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Having them in Excel makes it easy.

1. Add a couple of columns before and after the list.
    2. Enter the following exact text in the column before the list, so that it is on every line that has a file name.
    copy "E:\box\Box Sync\Corporate Files\GCPPO_Files\
    3. Enter the following exact text in the column after the list.
    *" E:\box\FINAL\
    4. Copy the 3 columns.
    5. Paste them into a proper editor. Notepad++ portable is excellent.
    6. In the editor perform a search and replace. Search for the TAB character and replace with nothing. In Notepad you search for "\t", without the quotes and select the Extended search mode option in the bottom left.
    You should be left with something like this.
    copy "E:\box\Box Sync\Corporate Files\GCPPO_Files\153036*" E:\box\FINAL\
    7. Save the lot to your desktop as "CopyBoxFiles.cmd".
    8. Double click on CopyBoxFiles.cmd.

cheers, Paul
    Paul,

I should have been more specific my apologies, some of the file names have 153036 apart of it but do not begin with 15036, they begin with any combinations of GCPPO, GCPO, CPO, MPO, GCPOC, GCPOC, MIC, MOC. Is there any way to revise this code to reflect any type of variation?

thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mngerhold View Post
    To add to Paul's solution, if you create a further column with the entries in the first 3 appended using & (and appropriate spaces), then you get the required text in one column, and can then paste into the .cmd file in one go without any need to delete tabs.
    Do you know how to do the below I sent to Paul as well?
    "Paul,

I should have been more specific my apologies, some of the file names have 153036 apart of it but do not begin with 15036, they begin with any combinations of GCPPO, GCPO, CPO, MPO, GCPOC, GCPOC, MIC, MOC. Is there any way to revise this code to reflect any type of variation?

thanks."

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyjayz View Post
    Paul,

thanks.
    I figured it out!

My txt file looks like this and I just tested it and it works: copy "E:\box\Box Sync\Corporate Files\GCPPO_Files\*153036*" E:\box\FINAL\

Thanks again everyone.