Thread: WORD TOC (2000)

New Lounger
    Thanks

WORD TOC (2000)

1. Is it possible to create a TOC which does not have hyperlinks?
    2. Having converted a hyperlink-based TOC to text, is there an easy way to convert all hyperlinks to text?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WORD TOC (2000)

I don't think there's a way you can create a TOC without hyperlinks. However, once you've created it, you can remove the hyperlink switch from the TOC field. Create the TOC, then press Alt/F9 to display the field. Remove the (space)/h from the field. Press Alt/F9 again to display the TOC, select it and do F9 to update the field. This does not, by the way, turn the TOC to text. It leaves it as a field and simply removes the hyperlink function. I don't know of a way to turn all hyperlinks to text.

Lee Morgan

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Lee, it worked a treat. Just to follow on a little, once the TOC field has been stripped of hyperlinks using your method, pressing Ctrl Shift F9 converts the TOC to text - sans hyperlinks!

Thanks again, John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes - Ctrl/Shift/F9 will convert any field to text. However, with a TOC, unless you're going to do something like send the document to a different Word Processing program, I don't know why you'd want to convert it to text. If you leave it as a field, you can update the TOC by selecting it and pressing F9. This means you don't have to go through the steps of deleting the text, regenerating the TOC and clearing out the hyperlink switch again.

Lee Morgan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Lee,

> I don't know of a way to turn all hyperlinks to text.

Not only does CTRL+SHIFT+F9 change a field to text, but I discovered that it will change a hyperlink to text. Unknown to me until I tried it. So I went a step further: for example, the following hyperlink
    www.att.com
    is actually implemented by Word as
    { HYPERLINK http://www.att.com }
    so a hyperlink is a field and C+S+F9 does its magic.

Of course, you can also select the whole document and do this - with the caveat that you're affecting ALL fields, not just Hyperlink fields. But I would imagine it would not be difficult to write some VBA that goes thru all the fields of a document and just remove the hyperlink /h or convert just Hyperlink fields to text. Beyond my capabilities though.

I think there were some other threads (summer?) on TOC's w/o hyperlinks. Don't recall if they addressed the issue of creation w/o hyperlinks or just the removal afterwards.

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Just to add one thing to the previous posts. Word 2000 differs from previous versions in that the entire field is a hyperlink, not just the page numbers, when using Insert/Index & Tables/Table of Contents.

However, you can create a TOC without the entire field being a hyperlink from typing the proper syntax after pressing Ctrl+F9 & just not putting in the h switch.