Lounger
    Thanks

Question Internet Options Link in Control Panel is dead

Hi all,

The subject describes the problem. MY OS is W7 Home Premium. All updates are installed afaik.
    Bottom line is I cannot get any result clicking the Internet Options button in the Control Panel.

As an aside, Yesterday Quicken 2015 software stopped working. I have communicated with Quicken, which gave me several ideas to try. I uninstalled, reinstalled, swept for viruses, etc.

I see three options. One is to restore my latest backup of Quicken. SEcond is to restore my entire C Drive, where Quicken is one of just several programs.
    Option Three is to simply do a Windows repair and hope that will solve what may be some deeper operational issues.

Thanks for comments and advice.

Sherm

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do any of the others in Control Panel work ?

You could run a command prompt as an administrator and execute either a sfc /scannow or chkdsk /f to see what they report.

If you've downloaded anything recently, then use your restore points to prior any downloads.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, for the ideas....I had forgotten about sfc and chkdsk....

btw, other links in CP do work....at least ones I have not tried. I am my office now, so trial solutions will wait until this afternoon, Central US time zone.

again, thanks. I will report back results, good, bad or indifferent...

Sherm

Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is what has happened, and what I have learned. I contacted MS support where i had a good online chat...and was given basic info without charge. The bottom line is that the reason i could not access "Internet Options" is because it is only active with Internet Explorer browser, which I had uninstalled some time ago. I did reinstall IE 11 and that also restored the options link in the Control Panel.

I still have a problem with Quicken 2015, that suddenly stopped working earlier this week. I will try a couple of things, and if that does not work, I will probably come back with a fresh post looking for a solution. Thanks for chiming in with your advice.

Sherm

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It would have helped if you'd remembered you'd disabled IE

Have you checked to see if Quicken works in Safe Mode with Networking ?

If it does then try it in a clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-gb

Lounger
    Thanks
    Remembering whether I had IE or not makes no difference. I knew Iwas not using it. I did NOT know that it was linked to Internet Options. I thought it was a universal link, regardless of browser....thanks for the Q 2015 tip...will try that and some other ideas I have been exploring

Sherm

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well, I suppose if you turn IE off then that would disable CP's Internet options link just as you lose the e in the taskbar and any reference to IE in All programs - but hope you get somewhere with Quicken.

Thanks
    I have to agree with Shermank. It's called Internet Options, not Internet Explorer Options, and is used by most browsers to communicate whether 'system settings' or a proxy is in use.

E.g. Chrome, where - in Settings > Network - clicking on Change proxy settings pops up the Internet Options dialog.
    chrome_settings.png
    Click to enlarge

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was always led to believe that other browsers use aspects of IE and if that has been turned off, then that must have some effect on which options are available.

Lounger
    Thanks
    ON re my Quicken problem, with Quicken not booting. I had two rather long sessions in on line chats with quicken reps....I think they showed great patience and customer relation skills, including getting me a fresh copy of the Q 2015 installation program. Nothing worked....nothing worked that is, until I finally did what one of my first instincts suggested. I ran a system restore routine to a point a few days before all the problems began. That solved the problem and Quicken working fine again....
    So, the problem was not with Quicken, but with my own system where something, somehow blocked Q from runnning normally. I still do not know what that something is. All virus scans showed nothing irregular or unusual except for two PUPs found by malwarebytes.

Sherm

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'd suggested using your restore points in my Post #2 but Safe Mode with Networking and/or the clean boot could have helped to find what was conflicting - but glad you got it sorted anyway

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem setting /clearing proxy
    Boot into safe mode as admin to change internet options then reboot.