5 Star Lounger
    Seattle, WA

Options for upgrading your data storage

Options for upgrading your data storage

By Lincoln Spector
    When you've cleaned out useless files on your hard drive, but you're still running out of space, it's time to up your storage capacity.
    Here's how to pick the best solution for your desktop or laptop system and how to move or distribute your files to a new drive.

The full text of this column is posted at (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    I use a four tier storage system - SSD for programs, traditional spinning hard disk for things like recorded TV. Then I have a NAS (mirrored disk) where I keep most occasionally used things, but also all my ripped CDs - then they are accessible from any of my devices (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone) and photos. Finally I use cloud storage for some working data, and as I normally shoot both JPG and RAW for photos, I store most of my worthwhile photos, just the JPG version, in the cloud.

Note that some of the cloud storage actually caches your documents locally - I usually change this to the e: (spinning disk). OneDrive and OneDrive for Business are quite different at present. Be aware that local caching of email (Outlook) and cloud storage can use vast amounts of your system drive if you are not aware of it. Especially as a repair in OneDrive for Business makes a complete copy of everything and downloads it all again. If you have 10G in the cloud, this soon adds up, as well as hammering your connection.

The upside of all of this is with a bit of thought and planning, you can get decent performance and at the same time a certain amount of resilience.

2 Star Lounger

Another option!

You missed out an option many of us have. Change your laptop / one bay desktop HDD to an SDD that is (plenty) big enough for your OS and software. Add a larger SD card - mine is 256 Gig - and put your data on the card. True you cannot get more than 256 G today - but for many of us this is plenty for our laptop. I find this combo quick, plenty big enough and fairly inexpensive.