Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What Microsoft needs to include in Outlook 2016

TOP STORY

What Microsoft needs to include in Outlook 2016

By Tony Bradley

More than a few Windows XP users are willing to pay Microsoft for more updates to the now effectively obsolete OS. In theory, doing so could produce billions in revenue for Microsoft. Here's why it's not going to happen.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/what-microsoft-needs-to-include-in-outlook-2016/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2015-02-04 at 19:17.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    two things that I want... the ability to open a .pst file as read-only so that we can genuinely archive old email safely... and following on from your inbox discussion, we need to be able to write a rule that processes incoming mail based on the email address that the email was sent to - not the account, the email address. Particularly important in a corporate environment where one mailbox may have a dozen valid email addresses associated with it. And it needs to work with email received as a bcc too!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Themes.....recently tried out Office 2013 and ended up uninstalling it as I couldn't bear to look at the Outlook window which was flat, lacked contrast, extremely white and hurt my eyes. When I eventually found the 'themes' that came with the programme it was a choice of white, light grey or dark grey. All of which were pretty grim. It's all very well having an improved Office suite but all the bells and whistles aren't much use if you can't use the programme without getting eye strain and a headache. Lots of complaints from users online about it and little or no response from Microsoft that I'm aware of.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Or how about good old fashioned syncing between your phone and desktop? That's still my most wanted inclusion. Remember the days (pre WP7) when you could connect your phone to your PC by a cable and ActiveSync or WMDC would launch and everything would sync. And before a raft of loungers point out that you can sync using Outlook Exchange let me point out that I'm not in a corporate environment. And, yes I have tried using the Windows Live workaround and that's way too clunky.
    Thanks everyone & happy lounging

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Regarding: "Recently, Microsoft launched a new version of Acompli — rebranded as Outlook. It's available for both iOS and Android, and it's marvelous. I can now configure all my email accounts in a single mobile Outlook mobile app, under one inbox."

What is your view on the concerns of this blogger?
    https://blog.winkelmeyer.com/2015/01...pany-security/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing they really, really, need to fix is shared folders in Outlook. Let me explain - I have a number of Exchange accounts as I work for different organisations. Some of these have shared folders e.g. "support". But these appear at the top level in Outlook, as do any PST files I keep locally for archiving email off.

There is no way (that I have found) to be able to tag or mark these - just making the account names a different colour would help. Bizarrely, if you drill down into the accounts when you want to move an email or folder, there are different icons for some folders showing different statuses. So in some rudimentary form, there is an ability to do something like this.

The latest Android email client uses the first letter of the mailbox name, but this is not very helpful because the left hand part of each email address is usually the same (Tony in my case).

The simple thing in my view would be to add an alias field - if empty, use the email address for the mailbox name, and if not, use the alias; and allow the name to be set to a different colour. This way the shared folders under an account can at least be given less prominence.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not clear about the problem with multiple accounts. I've been using Outlook (currently 2013) with a local .pst at my home office for the best part of 20 years, and (certainly for the last 10) it happily allows me to define multiple accounts (primary ISP, Google, MSN (that dates me!)) and they all appear in my Inbox. Is it just an issue for those using Exchange?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Outlook 2013 allows multiple accounts. But many other email clients e.g. on Android phones, let you have a combined view i.e. a virtual inbox which is like the "unread email" in Outlook, but spans ALL your accounts, so instead of having to dig down separately into each account to see new emails, they are all in one folder. This is especially useful for people who work across several companies e.g. consultants, IT support etc. For these people it saves time, and time is money.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Miller View Post
    I'm not clear about the problem with multiple accounts. I've been using Outlook (currently 2013) with a local .pst at my home office for the best part of 20 years, and (certainly for the last 10) it happily allows me to define multiple accounts (primary ISP, Google, MSN (that dates me!)) and they all appear in my Inbox. Is it just an issue for those using Exchange?
    Likewise, I have many accounts, some hosted plus gmail and emails are directed into one inbox. Some people also want the inboxes separate, so they don't have to remember which email address they are sending from!

I suspect the issue could be with IMAP as when I have set up an account using IMAP rather than POP, I have got separate inboxes.

New Lounger
    Thanks

unified inbox and device sync'ing

Quote Originally Posted by cliveo View Post
    Or how about good old fashioned syncing between your phone and desktop? That's still my most wanted inclusion.
    To Tony Bradley-
    A close correlation is I wish Outlook (2010 & earlier, didn't like 2013 and decided to forego) would treat IMAP accounts like POP accounts and allow you to put everything in ONE .pst file. I can also easily put the POP file wherever I want on my system to better manage drive space and backups, but IMAP accounts are not easily moved.

Having said that- I don't use a folder view. Rather I create shortcuts which I can name whatever I like (that is, something other than "Inbox"), and I use Rules to move messages upon receipt where I want them - within the .pst file where they are received (again, IMAP, Grrrr...).

To Cliveo-
    I don't like to store my messages in the cloud. I see way too many instances where "friends'" free accounts are hacked and MY email address mined by spammers. I like to keep my messages stored locally (yet another reason I don't like IMAP). The last really good option in my opinion for synchronizing my non-message Outlook items between devices was Palm's USB based Hotsync (R.I.P.) It was FAST and it was reliable and accurate. These days I use DejaOffice on my Android phone with CompanionLink Sync on my Windows PC. It is in my opinion a clunky alternative to Hotsyn, but I haven't found anything better that doesn't involve going through a cloud based service.
    Jim Johnson
    Michigan's Lake Superior region
    How much snow do we have now?
    Visit Agate Reef

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Miller View Post
    I suspect you're using POP, not IMAP. I was first mystified by this article, because I POP my mail too, but I don't think it's possible to switch the delivery folder for accounts set up with IMAP.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
    To Cliveo-
    I don't like to store my messages in the cloud. I see way too many instances where "friends'" free accounts are hacked and MY email address mined by spammers. I like to keep my messages stored locally (yet another reason I don't like IMAP). The last really good option in my opinion for synchronizing my non-message Outlook items between devices was Palm's USB based Hotsync (R.I.P.) It was FAST and it was reliable and accurate. These days I use DejaOffice on my Android phone with CompanionLink Sync on my Windows PC. It is in my opinion a clunky alternative to Hotsyn, but I haven't found anything better that doesn't involve going through a cloud based service.
    I'm like you and can't stand IMAP or leaving my messages in the cloud. I'm a POP user, and will be until they force me to stop.
    That being said, the only way I've found to keep my Gmail and Outlook in "Synch" without clunky 3rd party apps is to set my Outlook to Manual Send/receive, manage my email on my phone (Delete what I don't want, leave what I do), then do a send and receive and let Outlook pull it down to my PST file. (Then delete that from my phone's inbox.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't understand the unified inbox comment as I have been using Outlook for years with multiple inboxes and have all mail deposited into one mailbox via the e-mail tab on account settings! Am I misunderstanding your comment??

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As for my wish list for Outlook 2016, if they do put in a Unified mailbox, I wish for an option to TURN IT OFF. I'm in the camp that I like to keep my different mail accounts ISOLATED. I don't want my work email mixed in with my personal email on my phone (We don't use company provided phones). Like wise, I have multiple work accounts (My mailbox and a shared, helpdesk mailbox) that I have to keep separate.

In outlook, I keep it in folder view, on the left pane I see each mailbox to itself and that's how I prefer it.

I find a unified mailbox confusing, messy and it generally causes me lost time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyGore View Post
    Yes, Outlook 2013 allows multiple accounts. But many other email clients e.g. on Android phones, let you have a combined view i.e. a virtual inbox which is like the "unread email" in Outlook, but spans ALL your accounts, so instead of having to dig down separately into each account to see new emails, they are all in one folder. This is especially useful for people who work across several companies e.g. consultants, IT support etc. For these people it saves time, and time is money.

See, I find a unified mailbox confusing and a waste of time for the same reasons you find is useful. I prefer the separation, especially when it comes to mailboxes for the different companies I contract for.

Then again, I sort my M&M's by color before I eat them!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast