Thanks

Revo and IOBit uninstallers

I've been doing some work on a PC (not mine) and wanted to install Revo Uninstaller. The PC has AVG free installed and basically it wouldn't let me install Revo because of some supposed malware. So I tried Iobit, but again it refused. I managed to download Malwarebytes - this found a pup in the two downloaded exes, however I suspect it was the Yahoo toolbar (in Revo's case) that Revo said was incorporated. They also said it could be avoided or uninstalled - so not really a pup in my opinion.

So the question is, have these two programs been hijacked in some way or was it AVG having false positives.

I have now unistalled AVG (it's not the first time I've found it far too obtrusive) and replaced it with Win Defender (it's an 8.1 box).

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Any 3rd party software included in an installer is a PUP. The installer needs to make it very clear that the software is included and provide an easy way to avoid said installation IMO.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    IObit Uninstaller has a very small box to uncheck for Driver Booster during its installation which is a driver updater program, but if it installs, you can easily uninstall using IObit.

The PuP that MBAM may have found other than Driver Booster could have been its Unlocker program - SAS used to snag that on mine until a SAS version update.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-05 at 05:58.

Thanks
    Paul, Revo did state that it would install the Yahoo toolbar and that there was opportunity to not do that or unintsall it afterwards, but I agree with your general statement (see, we can agree on something.

Sudo, I didn't see such a box but I'll have a look for it when I have access to the PC again.

I think my moan was about AVG not letting me do anything, even when I clicked on teh OK button. I did download Malawarebytes (without problems from AVG) and that did spot that Revo had a Pup, but it also allowed me to install - well I would have done but I was running WU at the time so didn't actually try.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm sure we agree on lots!

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With the IObit install there's two small boxes at the bottom of its window - I think the one on the left is to accept the EULA and the one on the right is for Driver Booster, but they are certainly not prominent.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-05 at 18:08.

Thanks
    add unchecky.com, get from original source only, it will auto-uncheck more than 90-95% checkboxes of thingies you did not want or need. Obviously, it will leave alone that which you wanted in the first place.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/