5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Truecrypt or a safe modern alternative

I am reading How tp password protect files and folders with Encryption
    http://www.howtogeek.com/170352/how-...th-encryption/

A recommendation to use Truecrypt by accessing http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/ results in a WOT warning
    --- This site has a poor reputation based on user ratings
    Googling Truecrypt comes up with many questionable items in my mind
    Without opening each one here are a few of the questionable items Iím seeing just on the search page
    --- WARNING: TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues. The development of TrueCrypt was ended in 5/2014
    --- TrueCrypt is a discontinued source-available freeware utility used for on-the-fly encryption (OTFE
    --- WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues. This page exists only to help migrate existing data encrypted by TrueCrypt
    But then Truecrypt 7.2 is available through filehippo
    --- http://filehippo.com/download_truecr...load_truecrypt and I usually trust filehippo but I'm hesitant to go there based on trust

So my question is: what is a modern safe and alternate encryption program to use?
    I donít want to continue reading that article if truecrypt isnít safe to use anymore

Thanks
    Veracrypt has been suggested as a Truecrypt successor, but I still use Truecrypt!
    Steve Gibson had some typically forthright things to say about it. It depends if you agree with what he says...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Steve Gibson is usually pretty close to the mark IMO.
    His page also helpfully provides links to the correct version of TC.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I still use Truecrypt and have no qualms about its security. In fact, I trust it far more than I would trust Microsoft's Bitlocker.

I have seen nor heard any evidence or indication that Truecrypt contains any "unfixed security issues", so I consider the statement that it "is not secure" to be patently false until it has been proven to be compromised. Just because it is no longer being supported doesn't mean it is suddenly insecure. That's like saying just because Oldsmobile is no longer making cars, all Oldsmobiles currently on the road are suddenly unsafe to drive.

Go ahead and use Truecrypt, but use 7.1a, not the emasculated 7.2 version. You can get 7.1a either from filehippo or Gibson's site.

Thanks
    Just to be clear, it is the truecrypt part that has the bad wot rep, not all of sourceforge.net.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-02-11)