5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access denied issues

Help me please !

I have just got my first W7 PC, brand new, and am busy migrating things from XP.

I have successfully installed Google Chrome, Office and one photo editing program. I filed a few related Word documents in My Docs last night, then logged off and shut down.

This morning, when starting up, I got a message "Please wait whilst Windows is reconfigured, then I was able to log on as normal . . . or so I thought.

BUT

Although the software installations are still working properly and the filed documents are still there, I am having the following problems:

Pretty well every folder I try to open other than the above comes up with an Access Denied message. This includes My Music, My Pictures and My My Videos under My Documents - but not Music, Pictures and Videos which seem to be libraries of their own.

More importantly for me at the moment, I need to get to my Documents and Settings to set up backup locations for Outlook among many other things.

Yesterday I set up my permissions to enable me to do that and my Account is shown as having Full Control but I cannot get outside the very limited set of files identified above.

Today I have tried to set permissions for Documents and Settings but when I click on Apply it says that "Error occurred whilst applying security information to C:\Documents and Settings" "Access is denied". The same happens to any other folder for which I try to set permissions.

I'd be most grateful for help with this.

Martin
    Last edited by MartinM; 2015-02-05 at 07:01.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update
    I still can't get into any of these folders but I have discovered a difference in permissions between those I can access and those I cannot:
    CANNOT ACCESS: Under EVERYONE there is a tick in Deny against Special Permissions. This tick is greyed out and I cannot change it.
    CAN ACCESS: Special Permissions is there but neither Allow nor Deny is ticked. And I cannot change this - I cannot put a tick in either box.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update 2.
    To get round this issue I have "taken ownership" of the relevant folders.
    I'm happy about taking ownership of folders under My Documents !
    I am a bit nervous of having taken ownership of Documents and Settings - are there risks to having done that and what can I do about them without losing the access I need ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    Update 2.
    To get round this issue I have "taken ownership" of the relevant folders.
    I'm happy about taking ownership of folders under My Documents !
    I am a bit nervous of having taken ownership of Documents and Settings - are there risks to having done that and what can I do about them without losing the access I need ?
    Nothing to be concerned about. Your taking ownership does not lockout SYSTEM. Everything should still work normally.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you - that's a relief.
    PS I did take a drive image when the PC was "out of the box" and am doing so at every stage of the build so I can revert if I screw up again

Thanks
    PS I did take a drive image when the PC was "out of the box" and am doing so at every stage of the build so I can revert if I screw up again
    Always a good idea!
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I suspect you copied the permissions with the files from the XP box. The user on the W7 box is different so no access. Taking ownership is the correct solution.

Having a deny permission is very unusual. Normally you would never use a deny permission.
    A greyed out permission means the permission is set at a higher level, possibly the parent folder or the one above that. I would remove deny permissions.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pretty well every folder I try to open other than the above comes up with an Access Denied message. This includes My Music, My Pictures and My My Videos under My Documents - but not Music, Pictures and Videos which seem to be libraries of their own.
    Martin
    Before you go too far down the path of changing ownerships/permissions, please be aware that this is by design. The "Documents and Settings" folder you knew and loved was moved to "Users". They created a link called "Documents and Settings" for compatibility with programs that may have it hard coded. If you try to open that link, it gives you "Access Denied". I recommend you find a tutorial that explains all this before it drives you nuts.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to riffraff For This Useful Post:

MartinM (2015-02-05)