Lounger
    Thanks

Wi-Fi extending using a second router

Along the lines of another thread here I was wanting to see about using one of the several wireless router I have that are not in use to get a strong wireless signal in my observatory. I think the extenders should work fine but then again I have at least 2 Access Points and two routers sitting in my closet. The house and observatory are 50' apart and the wireless signal just does reach but is weak. When I built the house and observatory 12 years ago I ran a cable to most rooms and the observatory that has 2-CAT5e and 2-RG6 cables. These run to a distribution system that has phone (landline), TV (satellite or cable), and networking. So I have the modem (DSL) that has 4 LAN ports and Wi-Fi in my office that has an exterior wall, screened porch, and garage plus about 50' between the observatory. The ZyXEL PKZ5001Z modem connects directly to the two computers in my office and a switch in the basement that feeds the rest of the house and a switch in the observatory. The switch in the observatory has the two original wired LAN connections I ran but wasn't enough for the multiple computers, IP cameras, and IP Power switches.

So if I can make good use of one of the existing router(s) it makes sense to me to go that route. The Access Points are Netgear (b/g) as is one of the routers and the other router is Linksys (b/g/n). Any advice would be great. I'm not sure that how it's set up is the most efficient but it's worked well for the better part of 12 years. The first 10 or so using Hughesnet Satellite and then finally we got DSL which has been a great improvement in both speed (10 Mpps) and bandwidth.

Steve

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Plug one of the spare routers into the switch in the observatory - use a LAN port, not the WAN port - and you can plug other things into the router and use the wireless. Not using the WAN port leaves the whole system on the same LAN so you will need to disable the DHCP server in the router in the observatory.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

sreilly24590 (2015-02-05)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul,

With everything else going on here lately (hand surgery) that was going to be my first try but I didn't have time to do the research. Seems I've done that before.

Steve

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Were you able to see the recent asteroid, 2004 BL86, from your observatory?

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,

I've had so much going on lately I didn't even try. The observatory is setup for imaging and I was finishing a major upgrade to the roll off roof. It was a garage door opener that had been modified and now is a 1 HP 3 phase gearmotor controlled via an AC motor controller (frequency drive). This was all ahead of a software addition that makes my automated imaging almost hands free. I had some friends that took multiple mono images and stacked them for an animation that really looked great. That's one of the things the additional software will allow, VOE events (see http://scheduler.dc3.com/VOEvent.pdf)

BTW, I installed the access point which I wasn't sure would work with Win 7 Pro 64 but I downloaded the current software for it as it was so old, right clicked on the setup and "Ran as Administrator" and it was all but done. Unplugged the CAT5 cable to the IP camera and scanned for the wireless connection, put the passkey in and off it went. That does fill the 5 port hub though. There are 2 IP power switches (8 outlets each), access point, and 2 computers.

Thanks Again,

-Steve

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    At least you have the network sorted.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    There are also High Gain antennas that can be effectively used to push a WiFi signal hundreds of feet away.

Using a USB WiFi devise and a Nine db gain vertical antenna, I can pick up signals from several hundred feet away.

In another case, I have a very good friend, who lives over 500' down the street. He cannot afford DSL or Cable but needs constant WiFi access to the internet,
    to complete some on-line College courses he's taking.

So I set up a second router, a Linksys 54G, (on a LAN cable from my main Router) in front of a window facing my friends house, then I removed one of the two antennas on the router and ran a small RF cable, from that antenna jack, out the window to a High Gain Yagi antenna pointed directly at my friends house.

At his house, I set up another Yagi antenna, pointed at my house. With the two antennas pointed at each other, he gets a solid three bars of signal strength.

It's been about a year, since I set up this system and it's still working perfectly.

The whole system looks like this:

Cable Modem >>> Intellinet Router >>> Linksys Router ------Yagi Antenna ~~~~~~~~ Yagi Antenna at friends house ------- USB WiFi adapter on a Laptop PC.

Key:
    >>> = Cat 5, LAN Cable
    ------ = RF cable
    ~~~~ = RF Transmission

All the necessary hardware is out there, and I think I found most of it on Amazon.com.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2015-02-12 at 09:10.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dr. Who,

You missed a trick there. A couple of Campbell's soup cans, good quality string and a chunk of rosin is all you need. And, the larger Progresso soup cans may offer up to 3dB more signal ....

New Lounger
    Thanks
    starvinmarvin.

You've nailed it.... Being a blacksmith I prefer simplicity! Joking aside the info provided is excellent.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Is it legal to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    There are also High Gain antennas that can be effectively used to push a WiFi signal hundreds of feet away.

Using a USB WiFi devise and a Nine db gain vertical antenna, I can pick up signals from several hundred feet away.

In another case, I have a very good friend, who lives over 500' down the street. He cannot afford DSL or Cable but needs constant WiFi access to the internet,
    to complete some on-line College courses he's taking.

So I set up a second router, a Linksys 54G, (on a LAN cable from my main Router) in front of a window facing my friends house, then I removed one of the two antennas on the router and ran a small RF cable, from that antenna jack, out the window to a High Gain Yagi antenna pointed directly at my friends house.

At his house, I set up another Yagi antenna, pointed at my house. With the two antennas pointed at each other, he gets a solid three bars of signal strength.

It's been about a year, since I set up this system and it's still working perfectly.

The whole system looks like this:

Cable Modem >>> Intellinet Router >>> Linksys Router ------Yagi Antenna ~~~~~~~~ Yagi Antenna at friends house ------- USB WiFi adapter on a Laptop PC.

Key:
    >>> = Cat 5, LAN Cable
    ------ = RF cable
    ~~~~ = RF Transmission

All the necessary hardware is out there, and I think I found most of it on Amazon.com.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Anybody know if there are there any FCC issues governing ERP or other when dealing with wi-fi setups like this?
    Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What's the issue, it's only a high gain antenna, not a more powerful transmitter?

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "At his house, I set up another Yagi antenna, pointed at my house. With the two antennas pointed at each other, he gets a solid three bars of signal strength."

Or, you could use ultra high-gain string with the large Progesso soup cans. Note: this probably requires application of extra rosin on the string ....