Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Taking Much Longer to Get to W7 Splash Screen...

We've been running W7 Pro for 6 years on the same desktop. Always took about 30 seconds to get to the W7 opening/splash screen, but in the past week or so it's now about double that.

Specifically, after the normal BIOS screen, the "Starting Windows" black screen appears, but then the monitor goes black for about 30 seconds before the blue "Windows 7" screen finally appears.

We've not installed any new programs in months, and CC Cleaner still shows the same startup items it's shown for the past few years.

We've run 2 different malware scans, and also a virus scan.

Once W7 does open, everything runs as nicely as it always has.

The only thing that comes to mind is the recent W7 Update (the one that gave us the nice blue taskbar). Has anyone else experienced a slower boot time since installing the latest W7 update?

Thanks for any advice!

Alan

Thanks
    Have you checked event viewer for any unusual entries?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.

No Critical items for at least the past 7 days...

Alan

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Click on that SideBySide Event ID 80 - click on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane then paste into the reply box and Perfnet ID 2004 could be why Boot is taking a little bit longer http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sup...fnet&LCID=1033

This one is for the Kernel-EventTracing Event ID 3 which looks like you're stuck with that one http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2001347
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-05 at 10:52.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo and bbearren.

Here is a JPG of the Log, and following that a copy of the TEXT.

Thank you for helping!

Alan

Capture.JPG

Log Name: Application
    Source: SideBySide
    Date: 2/4/2015 6:08:52 AM
    Event ID: 80
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Alan-Desktop
    Description:
    Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero8\Nero Toolkit\DiscSpeed.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.window s.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_fa39 6087175ac9ac.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows. common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_41e6 975e2bd6f2b2.manifest.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="SideBySide" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49409">80</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-02-04T11:08:52.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>237483</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Alan-Desktop</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft. windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_fa39 6087175ac9ac.manifest</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.wi ndows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_41e6 975e2bd6f2b2.manifest</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero8\Nero Toolkit\DiscSpeed.exe</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Thanks
    According to what you have posted there is a conflict between different versions of Nero 8's "Disc Speed" utility. If the version of Nero 8 you have was installed from a CD that came with your computer then that could explain the error.

There is an update for Nero 8 which I downloaded several years ago, but I have no record of the URL. The filename is "Nero-8.3.20.0_all_update.exe" (227MB). Maybe Google can help with that.

I have Nero 8 on my system (with the 8.3.20.0 update applied) - it does all I want and does not cause the problem in your log.

A further Google search has returned http://www.mmnt.net/db/0/0/nero-mirr...software/Nero8 which lists the Nero 8.3.20.0 update as available for download (ftp, the file size matches [227MB]).
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-02-06 at 04:57. Reason: More info
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Coochin,

Thank you for responding!

I have not used Nero in 5+ years.

I sure don't understand why this Nero problem would surface now, after all this time of not using the thing.

I just Uninstalled it and then I ran CC Cleaner (to remove the several Nero items that remained).

I re-booted, but the delay is still there.

Here's a shot of the Event Log after all of this:

Capture.JPG

Thanks again,

Alan
    Last edited by AlanB1; 2015-02-06 at 05:49.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanB1 View Post
    ...I re-booted, but the delay is still there...
    The screenshot in your #8 post indicates that a service is failing to start due to a password mis-match. The service seems to be the "nvUpdatusService" which I would expect to be to do with an nVidia VGA (Video Graphics Adapter) driver. Try checking for, and upgrading your "Display Adapter" (VGA) drivers. If your VGA is onboard (built in to the motherboard) look at the motherboard manufacturer's support webpages, otherwise look at the support webpages for the VGA vendor, (nVidia Support) for your computer's VGA model number.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you (again), Coochin, much appreciated!

I found a fix for the issue (http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-c...nable-log.html), and after following the instructions that problem disappeared, but the boot delay remains.

If I hadn't already invested so much time in this I'd just give up and live with the problem ...

I've examined the new Event Log and nothing now stands out (to me).

FWIW, here's another (new) Log copy:
    Capture.JPG

Thanks,
    Alan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Had you done a power shutdown at 8.36 today to produce the Critical Kernel-Power Event ID 41 ?

As you are still recording the Kernel-Tracing Event ID 3 I did some digging into Readyboot and came across http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2555428 which may resolve your problem.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-06 at 10:46.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We did have some sort of freeze from which I had to power off, yes, but this was the first such freeze I can recall...

I then tried to download the Hotfix you referenced (and yes, "Hotfix available" did show for me), but the email MSFT sent contained a link that is invalid:

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Window...tl_x64_zip.exe

I'm now trying Windows "Disk Cleanup" to delete the old Restore Points.

I'll post the results here...

Thanks,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Had you done a power shutdown at 8.36 today to produce the Critical Kernel-Power Event ID 41 ?

As you are still recording the Kernel-Tracing Event ID 3 I did some digging into Readyboot and came across http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2555428 which may resolve your problem.
    Last edited by AlanB1; 2015-02-06 at 11:31.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    SideBySide errors can cause a freeze and even a shutdown, which I see from your log, is still recorded but wasn't sure if that predates you getting rid of Nero.

Can you have a look at that ID 80 and see if it records the same as the previous Event ID 80.

Edit - you can use the free version of CCleaner to remove all but the most recent restore point via its Tools. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-06 at 11:36.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo,

Yes, I have (please see my post... just crossed with yours!...

Looks like the ID80 has not occurred since around 6AM(EST, my time). The most recent occurrence (around 6AM) is different from the previous (Nero one):Capture.JPG

Thanks,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Have you read the article I've linked and tried the Hotfix ?

SideBySide errors can cause a freeze and even a shutdown, which I see from your log, is still recorded but wasn't sure if that predates you getting rid of Nero.

Can you have a look at that ID 80 and see if it records the same as the previous Event ID 80.
    Disk Cleanup has now deleted all my Restore Points (except for the most recent), and I'm about to try Restart.

I'll post the results.

Thanks again,

Alan
    Last edited by AlanB1; 2015-02-06 at 11:45.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'd added a bit in my last post regarding using CCleaner to remove the restore points.

Do all of those ID 80s report the same ?

Edit - As the previous ID 80 also snagged the WinSyx folder, I wonder if running Disk Cleanup as an admin may clean things up a bit, although I don't know about the manifest it keeps referring to - perhaps a sfc /scannow may help.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-06 at 11:51.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast