New Lounger
    Thanks

How to lock numeric keypad on in Windows 7 and 8?

How to lock numeric keypad on in Windows 7 and 8?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If it's a Desktop you might be able to set the NumLock Enabled at bootup but newer BIOSes are more difficult to access with Win8. Sometimes Windows will 'remember' when one keeps turning it on. I saw a new Dell keyboard yesterday that has no NumLock key, can't turn it on or off that way but then it has only number pad keys on it, none of the arrows/other features that were duplicates of regular keys. Some Notebooks with number/key pads work the same way.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-02-05 at 12:38.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I press the NumLock key on my Keyboard and Windows 7 & 8 remembers the setting.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd like a setting that forces the numeric keypad on at bootup and will not allow the NumLk key or any program to change it. I considered disabling the NumLk key but if bootup or a program disables the numeric setting I'd have no way to change it back.

Thanks
    I set mine to start at bootup in win 7 Pro 64 bit by making sure it was on in the UEFI BIOS. It's Always on at bootup. The only way to shut off the numeric keypad ( on mine ) is to press the NumLock key after boot.
    HTH

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do exactly the same as lumpy95. I have Win Ultimate 64bit but have been doing this since Win95. Always set it in the BIOS (UEFI or otherwise). Don't see the point in setting the numpad any other way. It's much quicker to use than the top row of digits. As he explained, you can always temporarily cancel it via the Numlock key.

Thanks
    On a side note, I've never understood why that option even exists. I don't think I've seen a keyboard in over 20 years that didn't have the "Home/End/PgUp/PgDn/arrow keys, between the qwerty and number keys.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    some months ago I called MS tech support on this very issue. The chap there told me it was "impossible" to do in Win 8! I still have to manually press the NumLock key after booting up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by artied2 View Post
    On a side note, I've never understood why that option even exists. I don't think I've seen a keyboard in over 20 years that didn't have the "Home/End/PgUp/PgDn/arrow keys, between the qwerty and number keys.
    You obviously haven't looked at too many laptops. Also many old school types don't use the number keypad and are used to having the cursor control key there.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheswick View Post
    The chap there told me it was "impossible" to do in Win 8!
    Could the MS support guy have been correct? Surely there's a way to access BIOS/UEFI on startup [press F2, Delete, whatever], doesn't all that still happen before Windows gets control?
    [never used Win8]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Up through Win7 the F2, Del, Esc or whatever worked to access the BIOS. Win8/8.1 and Win10TP can be installed on machines that still use BIOS but new ones from the Brands/OEMs will have UEFI and that can be accessed albeit differently, ones I've accessed were through the F12 key which gives several choices.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

I tried this out (Win 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64-Bit) and it works with the Keyboard.

1. Use your BIOS/UEFI to set NumLock ON at Boot.
    2. Use SharpKeys to set the NumLock key to do NOTHING!

SharpKeys.JPG
    Of course, this won't prevent a Program from making the change but that's a whole nother ball of wax!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I built my machine and it has an Asus m/b with UEFI bios which can be accessed either by Del/F2 on boot or an Asus program in Windows 7, but all that does is shut the machine down and restart it in the bios anyway! I've just been reading some info on the Acer site (via Google) on how to get into the UEFI in Win 8 and 8.1. It can be done but I can't believe the hoops you have to jump through to get there. The MS tech was wrong!
    Last edited by blacksmith; 2015-02-15 at 12:20.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found that in Win 8.1 you need to turn off fast boot for the num locks key to stay on.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @TimLarson
    I use the free utility KeyTweak (found everywhere) to accomplish what you seem to be looking for. I use it to remap the NumLock key to be another TAB key (very useful when entering numbers into fill-able forms or spreadsheets. At the same time I disable the CapsLock key (or make it an extra CTRL key for when I'm in a Wordstar mood). I use my conventional BIOS SETUP to force NumLock on at bootup. It comes as a GUI with well done instructions. Remember, you can merely disable that key without giving it another function.