New Lounger
    Thanks

Forest and Domain Functional Level

Hello! I am new to Microsoft windows domain and given the task to introduced a Windows Server 2012 to a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory. I've created a virtual setup and run the scenario with no issue. My question in mind, raising the functional level on both Forest and Domain level, will it have any effects on current workstations or workgroup on the domain accessing the network resources? Thank you for your time and effort, I look forward to your response.
    Last edited by PDAS; 2015-02-05 at 13:49.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can't raise the functional level while you have 2003 servers in the domain. All servers will need to be upgraded / replaced with 2012 boxes, then you can raise the FL.

I assume you only have a single domain - they wouldn't let a newbie loose on a forest, hopefully. Raising the level should be done for both forest and domain so you have consistency.

Workstations will not be affected, they use standard protocols to access the domain and only use more recent features if enabled on the WS.

Do you really have workgroups accessing the domain? Can you describe the network a bit more?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much! That is my goal at the moment is to replace the Windows Server 2003 (of 5 DC) single forest and domain, will keep the forest and domain infrastructure intact . I also have 5 physical Windows Server 2012 to use as a replacement for 2003 servers. There is no migration or upgrade, everything will be done as a fresh install. I was concern if I raise the Functional Level on both Forest and Domain per Microsoft, so I can introduce the 1st 2012 server in the domain, will have such impact on workstations access of network resources. Afterwards I will then introduce the last (4) 2012 servers, then physically remove the 2003 servers. For the mean time will not demote. Yes, my findings was a workgroup of one department that I am planning to get rid off as well. Any thoughts? Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by PDAS; 2015-02-05 at 15:54.