5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

warn your other users. you know this!

if you mistype an url you may end up at a phising or worse page
    that claims the fbi is after you and to send them money
    or at least to call a phone nr where some bogus 'repair' will be done and charged to your cc

dont know how they do it
    but cannot find a way to delete those pages

but i do know they are fraudulent
    and a reboot solves that problem

but i wonder if my wife or kids or other user would pay them thinking the fbi was going to do something to them

i am going to show them an example message so they will be aware of this
    and make sure they know how to reboot and restart everything properly

if anyone knows how to delete their message and that web page with the wrong url that would be nice to know and would save time rebooting to fix it

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The website probably contains code to keep your browser on their page. Killing the browser via Device Manager should be sufficient.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    The website probably contains code to keep your browser on their page. Killing the browser via Device Manager should be sufficient.

cheers, Paul
    I assume you meant Task Manager rather than Device Manager.

Jerry

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Oops!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Having Noscript on your browser would probably help there. I have web developer toolbar - that has a quick JavaScript disable button - I would assume that too would do the trick.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    speedball I sure can relate to the issue you mention. When my family and those I help mention a situation similar to what you bring up I tell them something like this; Why are you paying a complete stranger over phone? Tell that person thanks for the information, I'll get to my local computer repair shop on it immediately and then hang up. I'm sure we all have our stories but my point is why pay a total stranger over the phone etc. ?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post

cheers, Paul
    sometimes they block even that !

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    it is usually surprise andor panic that suspends their logical rational thinking

also a built in tendency to do what people tell them

older people are more easily scammed
    but anyone could be

Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    speedball I sure can relate to the issue you mention. When my family and those I help mention a situation similar to what you bring up I tell them something like this; Why are you paying a complete stranger over phone? Tell that person thanks for the information, I'll get to my local computer repair shop on it immediately and then hang up. I'm sure we all have our stories but my point is why pay a total stranger over the phone etc. ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    ...Why are you paying a complete stranger over phone?...
    IF that complete stranger could access your computer via the Internet and so determine that "you have many errors and viruses on your computer" then why??? are they contacting you by telephone? Surely if they have access to your PC they could simply send you an email or cause a pop-up message to display?

No, they are criminals who have phoned you with their speil assuming that you don't understand enough about the techonology to realise how they are deceiving you.

If they can access your PC via the Internet then you have a serious problem in any case. There are several security layers built in to your Operating System and your Internet router designed to prevent outside access to your PC, and these provisions have proved to be effective for many years now.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great points Coochin. When I wrote that I was thinking back to the time when my brother got a call to repair his computer. I happened to visit him at that moment; he asked me to talk with that person because my brother couldn't understand the instructions that person was giving him to do whatever I do not recall at this point; anyway the first thing I asked that person was how do you know that the computer is infected since that's what he made my brother believe; so I got a huma huma answer of some sort, and yes I told the guy he's a thief and then hung up. Then I told me brother that when he gets a call like that don't let it carry on as it will get to cost you and why should you pay a stranger over the phone to access your computer when you have our local computer shop just around a few miles away? More to the story, his girlfriend was willing to pay someone over the phone to fix her computer about a week prior but she didn't have the money; in her case she wasn't called, she called a customer service number for some issue that she felt had something to do with Comcast internet connection. But wasn't Comcast. I also ran into a few people a few months further back who paid about $200 or so to have their computers fixed over the phone by someone calling them claiming they were Microsoft tech support. I certainly can expand on those stories for better clarity and I'm sure we all have our stories. I just wanted though to try to make a simple statement "why pay a complete stranger over the phone" which I know doesn't cover every scenario but it does down to exactly what you brought up "they are criminals"