5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 backup and restore to create a system image

Today 2/5/15 I created a backup image of my computer using Win7 built in utility onto my external hard drive and it completed successfully which surprised me. My computer is HP-CPQ 6000 Pro Win 7 Pro SP1 desktop
    --- Last year on 1/2/14 the backup failed. One of the volumes specified for backup is invalid because it is either not on a fixed drive, is not formatted NTFS or is read-only. To convert the file system on a volume from FAT32 to NTFS, at an elevated command prompt type: CONVERT <volumeletter> /FS:NTFS (0X8078011d)
    --- New Volume 4.30 GB FAT32 Healthy etc & (C 144.75 GB NTFS

Moving back to todayís backup and restore I didnít keep track of the exact time but it was about 30 Ė 45 minutes
    --- Before beginning the process it indicated this could take up 29 GB of disk space
    --- Does that mean the System Image Restore Point: System that was created is approximately 29 GB?
    --- Upon completion this showed up: Backup size: 2.09 GB
    --- Where is this backup size of 2.09 GB?
    On my external hard drive, the title of my backup is Larry; my computer name and thatís ok with me
    --- However, based on my experience with experimenting with Win7ís backup and restore I was expecting the title to be WindowsImageBackup
    --- Does that mean I wasnít doing something right back then but today I did do image backup ok?
    Also on the image backup Larry on my external hard drive, the properties report 0 bytes
    --- Is that normal? If so, why is 0 bytes normal?

I have also tried to use Macrium Reflect Free with inconsistent results and Iíll be trying it again but Iím interested in understanding the above comments at least within reason before I try MR again

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I only use Win 7's Backup to create my system images to an external disk and have successfully restored with them on more than one occasion.

I'm not sure what's going wrong with yours as when I open WindowsImageBackup and right click on the named image, it shows as 53GB.

Are you using Create a system image from the left pane or just the Back up now button ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-02-06)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by verachen View Post
    As for your question, i don't know why this occurs. I don't use windows 7 built-in backup tool to help me backup system, once i tried it, but it seems if you backup system, but you cannot restore system form your backup image, but only can recover from a system restore point. So i use another way to backup system and restore it. You referred macrium, i use a similar one with it, which is aomei backupper, its free version, to create a system backup image. Or create a bootable CD/DVD/ISO file for system recovery and system boot without data loss. Suggest you do by a software. if you do like your way, maybe there is more errors and bring you more troubles. Hope you solve your problem.
    To restore from a system image on an external HDD you have to do it from the Recovery Environment using restore from an image I'd created earlier (or words to that effect), but it's all or nothing as you can't be selective in what you want to restore.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-02-06)

Thanks
    To restore a "system image" created using Win7's "Backup and Restore" you need to boot from a "repair disc" (see "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore\Create a system repair disc") then browse to the image you want to restore.

Obviously if you haven't created a repair disc you won't be able to restore an image created using Win7's "Backup and Restore".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-02-06)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    To restore a "system image" created using Win7's "Backup and Restore" you need to boot from a "repair disc" (see "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore\Create a system repair disc") then browse to the image you want to restore.

Obviously if you haven't created a repair disc you won't be able to restore an image created using Win7's "Backup and Restore".
    You can get to the Recovery Environment by tapping F8 on boot and select Repair your Computer then after plugging the external HDD in, select the option I've already mentioned in my Post #4.

This is how I do it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-02-06)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. Everything went excellently yesterday on both the Win7 system image backup utility and Macrium Refect. I have a experimented on my laptop creating the image backups and restoring the system image. Today I'll do the same on my 2 desktops. I do have the appropriate System Repair discs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's a good idea to check that you can restore from them before you have to do it in anger - so to speak.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-02-06)