5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Saddened; RadioShack is now filing bankruptcy.

Below's what I posted at ZDNet. This one hits me hard due to what RS use to be to me me in my youth.

This story very much saddens me. I just wish Tandy Corp. had never folded and kept RadioShack as it was. Going from an electronics hobbyist store to what it became (anything but) is what finally killed them. Yes; we now have Hobby Lobby, but it's still not the same as what RadioShack was. My very first computer was a Tandy Color Computer (TRS-80 CoCo). My Dad then got me a CoCo 3 a few years later. Had a lot of fun with these cool machines. I was an avid electronics hobbyist since I turned 8 (back in the very early 70s). Had all of Forrest M. Mimms III workbooks (purchased, of course, at RadioShack) too. Went on and acquired an associated degree in Industrial Electronics (ASET) and finally went on to become an Electrical Engineer (BEE, Auburn), almost solely because of my hobby in electronics due to RadioShack electronics hobby kits. No longer an EE (went belly up right after 9-11/Arthur Anderson) back then. Struggled; still trying to stay above it all. Still, I've had way too many fond memories of RadioShack which influenced so when I was young. Yes; this erks me more deeply then you all will ever understand. Saddened indeed, but saw this one happening when all the RadioShack stores started closing near where I lived. Oh well; I suppose life goes on.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes indeed. I started ordering parts (by mail) from RS when I was around 10 years old to do hobby experiments with. Also bought "Knight Kits" from Allied Radio and put together my first "all transistor" stereo system - fun days of my youth in the 1960's. I'm sorry to see them go, I could at least still order from them on line, but I guess that's gonna end too.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Radio Shack is one of the reasons I'm in the IT and electronics field. As kid, my grandmother used to buy me all their "kits" and "labs" as toys. As a teen, my first computer was a Tandy 1000 series. I remember upgrading the ram from 120k to 512k by having to install the DIP Chips on the board. Then, not long after high school, I actually worked for them a couple of years.

I feel like a big part of my childhood/youth is about to be lost forever.

Thanks
    And now we'll have to order replacement watch batteries online. It is a shame, but in the end they were only a cell phone and xmas toy store. They will be keeping Heathkit company in hobby store heaven.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    I still have fond memories of my first personal computer a 16k RS Model 1 w/cassette recorder for data storage! Great things like L-DOS (Beat the heck out of TRS80 DOS), Electric Pencil, Visi-Calc, $1500 Dot Matrix Printers, $600 Single sided 5.25" floppy drives, etc. I was one of the founding members of the Northern Virginia Tandy Users Group. I actually wrote my own word processor in Basic such as it was.
    Ah those were the days!!!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I suppose there are still plenty of kits out there and there are Aurdrinos and PIs for ambitious youth and these are a LOT less expensive than those TR80s even in 70s $s.
    I am recalling having read someone expressing dismay over the inability to buy an interesting chemistry kit because of all the new safety rules. HLS would probably start investigating if someone ordered some of the more 'interesting' (explosive) chemicals. The world changes but I hope the trully smart youth can have the opportunity to feel excited by science and engineering, we have way too many Quants.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This thread's got me all nostalgic. Haven't played megabug since my last system died on me so re-looked up hapless genious's COCO emulator. lol

Attached Images Attached Images