New Lounger
    Thanks

Lining up decimals in Word 2010 table of contents

I produce a lot of documents that require a table of contents. The table is formatted to use traditional outline number, i.e., I, II, III; A, B, C,; 1, 2, 3; etc. I've set up the template so that the headings in the body of the document are automatically used to generate the table. The problem I'm having is that as the Roman numerals increase, they become wider and Word accounts for that by moving the decimal to the right with each increase in width.

I would like to know if there is a way to set up the table so that the decimal points in the outline line up. In other words, as the Roman numeral becomes wider, I want the needed extra width to expand to the left. I hope this is clear enough to understand.

Thanks
    I have not tried to do this. To the extent it can be done, I suspect that the solution would be in the TOC styles.

How to create a table of contents - Shauna Kelly
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    I have not tried to do this. To the extent it can be done, I suspect that the solution would be in the TOC styles.

How to create a table of contents - Shauna Kelly
    Thanks. But the link provided no information to solve the problem. I surprised there's not something more definitive. It seems like such an obvious problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't know of a way to align the decimals on the leading numbers without including a tab at the start of the paragraph. This would require editing of the TOC each time after it is refreshed.

It is possible to get the outline numbers to align the decimal by 'right aligning' it but this doesn't transfer itself into the TOC styles.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I used to do it several years ago but the need to do it faded away but you might look at what Kerning is.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerning