Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Symantec Norton Security

How are the feelings around here re Symantec Norton Security ? I have an offer for 5 Devices for 29 bucks. I bought AVG recently but had a problem in the past w/ Zone alarm running with it and sentiments seem to be running against it.

It seems every time I spend $$ on a software product I end up regretting it. The last 2 products I did NOT regret were Office 97 and ZTreeWin...

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I use Norton 360 and have been doing for a few years now.

It can get chewy the odd times and after Windows Updates I usually have to do a manual scan for its Definition updates before it will let IE connect to the Internet, but Norton has a great tool in its Remove and Reinstall where it downloads a new install before unloading the old one and then installs the new one.

It says to save it to Desktop but I just leave it in my Downloads folder and click on its .exe the odd occasion I've needed to run it.

Getting all of the Definitions back up to date can seem never ending as it's best to manually check for updates after the initial flood until it tells you there's none left, but it has kept me safe so I'll be sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

Thanks
    Sudo
    Thanks for the feedback. I have 2 days to decide which means I will likely fail to decide...
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    David,

I've been using Norton 360 (free from my ISP) for several years, with only minimal glitches. In the past, I used Norton System Tools, even during the time when many were complaining of their "bloatedness," which seems to have been resolved in the last few years of Norton products. Even though Peter Norton is long gone from Symantec (probably on a tropic isle somewhere), I'd go ahead and pull the plug. The price seems fair, the functionality is good. Watch out for the price on yearly updates, though.

Zig

P.S. I've met your cousin, Wavy Gravy (Hugh Romney) a number of times. Great guy. See Saint Misbehavin' if you get the chance.
    Last edited by Zig; 2015-02-07 at 13:45.

Thanks
    There was a comparison of Internet Security Suites / AntiVirus progs in the most recent edition of the UK monthly magazine PC Pro, and for what it's worth Norton Internet Security came out pretty well (but not as well as Kaspersky Internet Security).

(I won't say just how appallingly badly McAfee did...)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Well I though I had till midnight tonight but it was midnight yesterday.
    Thanks again for all the feedback. I will keep AVG and hope it is getting alone w/ Zonealarm.
    David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While I haven't read through all of https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b00000004frvAAA I've read enough to see that perhaps AVG and ZoneAlarm aren't a match made in Heaven.

I thought that AVG Pro had its own Firewall, so why do you need ZoneAlarm as well ?

Thanks
    Never said pro, it's just AVG AV. If I get my $40 ? rebate its free (minus the stamp, why oh why do they insist on mailing everything in? Oh I guess I know). Maybe the pro version would have been a better choice in that regard, compatibility wise. But then it would not have been free I will work w/ AVG for now
    David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In your opening post you said that you had bought AVG recently - is that not the Pro version ?

Thanks
    It was just AVG AV not the pro version. On my box the feature list has firewall greyed out. I will check to see if Windows firewall is running, I believe it is. Actually it would be I uninstalled AVG on the one computer it was on for trouble shooting purposes.
    David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do you have ZoneAlarm on that one ?

Thanks
    Not yet, I am using windows firewall, when I get time I will move ahead with further installations of wanted SW. I am probably not using it enough to be truly testing it for stability. I just got my backup solution back on line last week and maybe this weekend it will see some use.
    David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    How are the feelings around here re Symantec Norton Security ? I have an offer for 5 Devices for 29 bucks. I bought AVG recently but had a problem in the past w/ Zone alarm running with it and sentiments seem to be running against it.
    It seems every time I spend $$ on a software product I end up regretting it. The last 2 products I did NOT regret were Office 97 and ZTreeWin...
    As a working Computer Tech., I have to secure hundreds of computers, in homes, offices and even one in a Corp. CO's office.

I'm constantly telling my customers, "the best security software in the world is 100%, absolutely, positively FREE!"
    Then in the next breath, I tell them, "there is no one program or suite of programs that will completely keep any computer 100% safe from all Malware".

Back on topic:
    Norton AV software has never been FREE, and has to be paid for again and again, every year. What a drag!
    Then it does not protect against all forms of Malware, i.e. Viruses, Spyware, Adware, Worms, Trojans, Rootkits and tracking cookies.

It takes several different programs, from different venders, to adequately protect any PC.
    I use five different programs on my own PC to keep it Malware free, and each one will find and remove something that the others did not.

One program I use, on every new customer's PC, is the "Norton Removal Tool". Symantec was forced to produce a removal tool for Norton products, because it was such a horrible program to get rid of. (worse than most viruses).

AVG 2015 FREE? It's a great program that will update itself and run daily scans, if set up to do so, without any operator intervention. Always FREE and does a great job of protecting a PC, and the options present in the Pro (paid) version are really not necessary. The FREE Windows firewall is also sufficient.

Cheers Mates,
    Stay SAFE!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My experience is that both Norton and Kaspersky are resource hogs. At our company, we migrated from Kaspersky to ESET and couldn't be happier. At home i'm on Kaspersky Pure because of a 3-year license i got, but as soon as it ends i won't be renewing. My new Windows 8.1 notebook doesn't have anything, and my desktop will migrate off, too. Windows Defender does a good enough job.

Lounger
    Thanks
    5 for 29 bucks?
    Get it!
    I've been using Norton since the days of the IBM PC, still using it on XP, WIN7, Vista and Win 8.
    No issues at all.
    And getting the previous year's version at a big discount is the way to go. CD Key will work on the current version. Free upgrade.
    P.S. Resource issues have been fixed a long time ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast