5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A further file system mystery

I cannot change the icon of an individual file (not the generic icon for a file type).

I am looking at the file in its "real" location ie C:\Users . . .

The folder it is in shows the Customize tab under Properties, but the file does not.

I can't see anything special about the file - it is simply an Excel Workbook and it has no special properties that I am aware of.

What am I missing ?

PS further investigation shows that none of my files have the Customize tab . . . but all my folders have it.
    Last edited by MartinM; 2015-02-07 at 16:42.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    I cannot change the icon of an individual file (not the generic icon for a file type).

I am looking at the file in its "real" location ie C:\Users . . .

The folder it is in shows the Customize tab under Properties, but the file does not.

I can't see anything special about the file - it is simply an Excel Workbook and it has no special properties that I am aware of.

What am I missing ?

PS further investigation shows that none of my files have the Customize tab . . . but all my folders have it.
    The file icon represents the file association; the extension of the file name. A filename ending in .xlsx is going to have the Excel icon. A filename ending in .docx is going to have the Word icon. Files ending in .lnk, on the other hand, do have the property of changeable icons, since they are shortcut files.

One can, for example, change the icon of a shortcut to an Excel file, but not the icon of the Excel file itself, except by changing the file association. Of course, it wouldn't open in Excel if the file association were changed to some other executable.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was beginning to suspect that, unlike XP, W7 would not allows individual file icons to be changed. Thank you for the confirmation.

It isn't a biggie, and you have given me a good clue how to achieve what I want. There are only 3 files involved - I will park them somewhere and put links to them in the places they are to be accessed from.

Many thanks,

Martin

Thanks
    Back in my Windows 3.1[1] & WFW 3.11 days, I used icondraw and made a new icon for one of my favorite programs There is an IconBackup BATchfile made by a member of this board [or another board] named Blood Dragon. It copies the known DLLs containing icon pics into one directory. I modified the batchfile to send the DLLs into my ddrive partition's Logs directory.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Back in my Windows 3.1[1] & WFW 3.11 days, I used icondraw and made a new icon for one of my favorite programs There is an IconBackup BATchfile made by a member of this board [or another board] named Blood Dragon. It copies the known DLLs containing icon pics into one directory. I modified the batchfile to send the DLLs into my ddrive partition's Logs directory.
    Roland,

It might have worked to change file icons back in the Win3.1/95/98 days but XP/Vista and later are much more focused on "default programs". I.e.: in Vista/Win7/Win8 if you have set M$ Word default for ".doc" and ".docx" files then the icon displayed for those files will be the M$ Word icon.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Coochin, you are so right! I was merely indicating how Windows OS has changed from earlier to present days. Default rules, San Andreas Fault rules.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/