Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Home reinstall

I've just inherited a Dell Inspiron 6000 with a defective HDD. I've got a fresh drive and need to install XP Home, which the machine has the authorisation code for.
    All I have is an XP Pro DVD from an old PC of mine, and I have no idea how to obtain a DVD or an ISO file for XP Home.
    Can I use the XP Pro disc, or can anyone point me to an ISO for XP Home so that I can reinstall.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With XP you need the install disk to match the version, unlike Win 7 where you can remove the eicfg file to make a universal disk from either Pro or Ultimate to cover all of the versions.

However, I've just downloaded a XP Home SP3 x86 from http://getintopc.com/softwares/opera...free-download/ to see if the blue download button at the bottom of the page worked, although I haven't gone as far as creating a bootable disk with ImgBurn http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn

It took about 14 mins to download on my throughput of ~5.7 meg and it says that it includes SATA drivers.

On unpacking the .zip there is the Disk Image File and a Readme one, although I didn't bother.

Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15. I'll give it a go and feedback the result.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hopefully it will go well for you - I noticed there are also links for XP Pro 32 and 64 bit which could help other users, although they don't include Address Bar DeskBand (whatever that is) or Task Manager but I think that only applies to the 64 bit Pro version.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I successfully loaded XP Home from the recommended iso, but it won't accept my authorisation code, even though it's the one on the label on the back of the laptop. Seems like I'll have to telephone MS and explain the problem to them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    I successfully loaded XP Home from the recommended iso, but it won't accept my authorisation code, even though it's the one on the label on the back of the laptop. Seems like I'll have to telephone MS and explain the problem to them.
    I think XP can be finicky in that there are subtle differences from what I've read and it prefers the original XP CD but I don't think you should have any problems with MS - but I wouldn't tell them you weren't the original owner.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I think XP can be finicky in that there are subtle differences from what I've read and it prefers the original XP CD
    <snip>
    I think that's true. OP, I'd have thought the best place to go is the Dell site. This is the page to get the install media. As you're here in the UK, it might involve a phone call.

Incidentally, XP came on a CD, so there's no telling what's on your friend's DVD. You might want to try borrowing a proper XP CD if you know anyone who has one, and see how you get on with that. A Microsoft one should work, provided it's Home Edition, and (I suspect) OEM and not retail. Failing that, it's orf to Dell for you.
    Last edited by tonyl; 2015-02-09 at 12:57.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd like to give MS a try but the phone no on the activation screen only connects with the automated system and I can't get to speak to a live rep.
    Anyone got a solution?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd like to give MS a try but the phone no on the activation screen only connects with the automated system and I can't get to speak to a live rep.
    Anyone got a solution?
    Yes, that sounds like the number for activation. They give you a code to enter in the activation screen, and, all being well, Windows will activate. I've used it several times.

Thanks
    Anyone got a solution?
    Just follow through with the "activate by phone" thing. You will have to enter a fairly long code into your phone, then enter another fairly long code into your PC, but that usually is the end of the problem (as long as you have entered a valid "product key" from the COA sticker on your PC).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you need to speak to someone, a Google came up with 0344 800 2400 for the UK and www.saynoto0870.com came up with 0344 800 6006

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

A1ex (2015-02-11)

Lounger
    Thanks
    The CD Key code for Windows XP Home edition is specific to Dell (OEM). So it won't work on a generic XP image.
    ANY DELL XP image will install with no problems.
    (I doubt you can get it from Dell).
    Good luck.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Original post deleted following email discussion with moderator.

Modified post:

Hi,

I doubt you will get either MS or Dell to help you with a key for WinXP, which is now unsupported.

As you are also in the UK, I had intended to offer to post my surplus WinXP cd to you for free, if you wanted to give me your street address by PM, but I’ve since been advised that such PM interactions are frowned upon by Windows Secrets.

So, failing that, I recommend you consider giving Linux Mint a whirl. It’s totally free, very similar to a Win XP/Win7 desktop – usually needs no third-party drivers, no AV required and does everything most people use a computer for.

Try Linux Mint 17.1 mate 32bit version first. ISO here:
    http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/l...mate-32bit.iso

If this latest version will not install it’s because your Dell hardware is just too old. In that case try the Linux Mint 13 mate 32bit version, which seems to run even on stuff out of the ark:
    http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/l...-dvd-32bit.iso

You can read all about Linux Mint here: http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php

Hope this may help breath some life into the old beast.

Cheers, Chris

P.S. If you need a good ISO burner try BurnCDCC 2.0.2.0 (remember to finalise the burn)
    http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdow...cf578/ae23/0/1
    Last edited by Chris Cooper; 2015-02-12 at 13:47.
    Remember rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall UK, for the last 15 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components
    and 16k RAM was considered extravagant!

Thanks
    Private Messaging works fine here, last time I checked (HINT: click on a user name).

As with most other online communities, offering assistance via PM or email is frowned on here in the Lounge.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While I agree that any "tech" advice given should be subject to Moderation should it be bad advice, if it's posted in the open forum that confidential info will be supplied by PM, then I would have thought that would be acceptable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast