Thread: Power options

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Power options

My Power Options on my previous Dell Dimension 9200 (8 years old in 1-15) & every Desktop prior to that was to set my Power Options where nothing ever slept, hibernated, or was turned off.

Settling down with my new Dell XPS 8700 Special Edition running Windows Pro 8.1 & was considering my Power Options Settings.

I turn my computer, dual monitors, & 3 printers totally off every night.
    And during the day, if I am going to be away from my Desktop for a few hours, I do turn my dual Monitors off.

So, I used the same settings on my new Desktop.
    Nothing ever sleeps, hibernates, or gets turned off.

I know this is probably one of those things that is a personal preference.
    But, I would like some feedback from those of you who are more knowledgeable about such things as to what your preference is & why.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Thanks
    Sleep I can do but not hibernation, my phone hibernates, but I need my computer up and running until I turn it off or sleep it.

Hibernation: No thanks. If I'm going away for a short time I'll prefer to put the system to sleep.
    For overnights and longer periods of time I'll just shut the thing off. For longer periods of away, I'll shut it down completely and then turn off the surge protector.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-02-08)

Thanks
    Like CLint above I do not do hibernation.

However I will allow my PC to sleep after 30 minutes (I've probably fallen asleep as well!)

I also use sleep rather than complete shutdown overnight as Windows task scheduler will do things overnight eg disk defrag. (I can be lying in bed & hear the PC startup, a whirry of disk activity and then put itself back to sleep)
    Last edited by Browni; 2015-02-08 at 13:08.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-02-08)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My computer powers down external devices and internal disks not in use, but does not sleep. When I have finished using it I use hibernate - I set my sleep button to hibernate - then when I want it back it takes about 10 seconds (SSD) and I don't have to re-load everything.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I always set the computer so that the default is everything on, all the time. (The only exceptions to this are: monitor goes off after a few minute of inactivity to prevent a burned in image; and the hard drive stops after a few minutes of inactivity to reduce the wear-and-tear on it.) Also, I set the power button to turn the computer off, not hybernate or sleep. And I set lid closing to do nothing.

I prefer to manually choose sleep or hybernate when I want to; I don't ever want those functions happening automatically.

Some things, such as network connections, stop working when the computer goes to sleep, so I would rather it stay up all the time until I have logged out of whatever I am logged into.

Thanks
    Unless you are still using a CRT monitor, its unnecessary to turn off your monitor to avoid burn-in as modern flat screens don't use phosphors and don't, therefore, suffer from burn-in. On the other hand, it will save electricity – and save battery power on a laptop.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My keyboard has a dedicated sleep button. I use it when I'm going to be away from my desk for a few hours or overnight.

I do restart the computer once a week or so or when Apple or MS or some company insists that I have to restart the machine to finish an installation or update. I turn the computer off completely if we are going to be out of town for a few days.

Lounger
    Thanks
    It is recommended that you don't hibernate when using an SSD. Suppose it has to do with finite number of writes.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    ..... For longer periods of away, I'll shut it down completely and then turn off the surge protector.
    Turning off the surge protector is not as safe as unplugging it from the wall. Lightning sometimes doesn't respect the switch in a surge protector.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FWIW, since 1996 I have set our IBM and Lenovo laptops to go automatically from full on to sleep after 20 minutes of inactivity, and then 20 minutes later, to hibernate.
    So far, they have all worked just fine. After hibernation, I just resume my work right where I left off.
    Yes, I am probably saving only tiny amounts of electricity, but I think all those years ago I liked the idea of having the PC fully switched off when a power surge or an earthquake comes along. If I am really leaving for an extended period, I do unplug it as well (which is compatible with hibernation but not with sleep).