Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2013 click-to-run automatic updates

I have Office 2013 Professional Plus and recently installed the 64-bit versions for compatibility with other software I use. This software is supposed to be automatically updated (in the background). Right now, I have am versions behind the current version number. When you check http://support.microsoft.com/gp/office-2013-365-update/ the note indicates you can force the update immediately - there is supposed to an option to "update now" when you check the update options for an office program. That option doesn't exist for me. Does anyone know why this option is missing? I would like to "force" the software updates to get back to the current patched version - but their appears to be no way to do this. Office updates are completely missing from the Windows update (in control panel).

David

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you used Change Settings in Windows Updates? This is how mine is set and I get the Office updates:
    Untitled2.png

Thanks
    When you open a document ( for example, word ), go to file>account and this will open: Office updates.JPG
    If you click update options, the first thing on the list is update now.
    If that option is missing, you may need to reinstall. I also have Office 2013 Professional Plus installed on my win 7 pro 64 bit computer and all the options are there.
    Hope this helps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't see that option. I didn't see it for the 32-bit version of Office 2013 and I don't see it for the 64-bit version I just installed. Pretty strange. I am running Win8.1 64-bit. I doubt if a re-install is going to help - I just installed the 64-bit Office a couple of days ago.

David

Thanks
    Mine is the 32 bit version on my win 7 64 bit computer. I also have "Home and Student 2013" on my older 32 bit computer and on all instances of Office 2013, there are the selections that I described in post #3.
    If you click on " About Word " there is a button for tech support, you may want to try that because you should have the options I described. My guess is that there is something wrong with your install's.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    RE #3, I also do not have the Update option showing on that panel, Office 2013 Pro 64-bit on Win8.1.

Thanks
    Hmmm, Here is what I get when clicking on the update options button:
    Office options 1.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you do NOT have an update button on the Office Account page then you do NOT have the click-to-run version of Office. You have the traditional MSI version which gets updated via Windows Update.

Joe

Thanks
    Ahhh, thanks for the clarification Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry Joe - I do have the click-to-run version. The regular Windows update ignores office will not install any updates. (And yes, I do have update to monitor all MS software.)

I asked MS support about this and they suggested running the full online repair (from programs and features in the control panel). I did that - and what it did was a full re-install of the software (it asked me for my product license key and went through the full setup process). Now I am at the current version (15.0.4693.1001) and the "update now" option is present.

I got my copy of Office 2013 via my company's HUP program. The download links they provided only give you the 32-bit version of office. I had asked MS for a backup CD, and my current installs were from that CD (both 32-bit originally, and now the 64-bit version). Apparently this CD version is not complete - it doesn't support the update now option.

My license key works and gives me all the features I wanted.

So, I guess the moral here is try the full internet "fix" first. As I have mentioned, just re-installing from the CD left me with the same problems.

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Looks as though the CD is the MSI format. As far as I know, the "update button" is one sure way to tell which type of install you have. Anyway, glad you have it resolved.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry Joe - I do have the click-to-run version. The regular Windows update ignores office will not install any updates. (And yes, I do have update to monitor all MS software.)

I asked MS support about this and they suggested running the full online repair (from programs and features in the control panel). I did that - and what it did was a full re-install of the software (it asked me for my product license key and went through the full setup process). Now I am at the current version (15.0.4693.1001) and the "update now" option is present.

I got my copy of Office 2013 via my company's HUP program. The download links they provided only give you the 32-bit version of office. I had asked MS for a backup CD, and my current installs were from that CD (both 32-bit originally, and now the 64-bit version). Apparently this CD version is not complete - it doesn't support the update now option.

My license key works and gives me all the features I wanted.

So, I guess the moral here is try the full internet "fix" first. As I have mentioned, just re-installing from the CD left me with the same problems.

David

Thanks
    Hmmm, now I'm a bit concerned, although my office Pro 2013 runs fine, but I asked for the DVD also. If I ever had to re-install it though, I would probably have to go back to the original online installation which takes forever at my internet speed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    @lumpy95,

Maybe but maybe not. David could've just gotten a defective CD or was shipped an incorrect CD.

Joe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2015-02-12)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can still use the CD - and even if you have a version like I have - you just run the internet fix and it should work. Just keep your license key handy. It may have something to do with the fact that I got the HUP version.

David

17. The Following User Says Thank You to djredfearn For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2015-02-12)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast