Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Opinions of OneDrive for storage of photos?

Not sure where to put this, but Maintenance and Backup seems the most likely spot.

It seems that it would be a good idea to back-up my photos to the cloud, as there is no security risk involved, unlike personal data.

I have them on my PC, included in the monthly images and also on DVD – at least up to December 2012, as there is no point in burning DVDs with less than c 3 GB. In the event of a fire all of these would be lost, so cloud storage would be useful insurance.

Have considered One Drive, but there is a paucity of information on the MS site. It states there is an extra 3 GB of storage if photos are automatically uploaded, but extra to what? It seems that the 15 GB of free storage is only for those using online versions of Office. Furthermore, auto uploading before I have finished working on a folder doesn’t appeal.

Also, Fred Langa’s recent piece suggests that the photos will only exist in the cloud, not on my PC, and I would not want to be dependant on an internet connection every time I wished to view my photos. Although I may have misinterpreted what he said, there is no clarity from MS on any of this.

The MS site did say that One Drive is preloaded on Win 8.1, but as it cannot be found on my system it probably was not included on the Win 8 upgrade to 8.1.

Consequently, I would be grateful for any clarification from any One Drive users.

George

Thanks
    I've moved this post to the Windows 8 Forum for more exposure.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2015-02-09)

Thanks
    I use onedrive for my photo backups....It works perfectly for me. I just set what folder in the OS I want to sync with or move the photo's individually or in blocks to the photo folder of onedrive itself. Then on cold starts and restarts onedrive automatically checks for changes and updates accordingly. Works rather well....you'll just have to play with it.

I currently I have 50 GB of storage....it started off with 7 GB then MS upgraded it to 15 GB then I got a camera roll bonus of 15 GB and then received an enthusiast bonus of 20 GB....so I have plenty of cloud storage for my photos. Plus the added advantage with onedrive is the 10 GB upload file size cap where every other "free" cloud service is in MB. The only disadvantage is the upload speed....that takes awhile and a very long time for extra large files.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use an external drive for everything and store it in a fireproof safe. Cheap, efficient, secure.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I use an external drive for everything and store it in a fireproof safe. Cheap, efficient, secure.

cheers, Paul
    Exactly and very good point.

I forgot to mention I have 2 internal physical HDD's I use for backups and use the cloud backup.

Thanks
    There's certainly nothing wrong with using free stuff, if it's good. My windows phone automatically backs my camera roll to the cloud, so I was using it before I knew it. I have a 30GB total of free cloud storage now, because of the camera roll. I have yet to try it with anything from my PC's or laptops, but I probably will, sooner or later.

I have 3 internal drives (4TB total) I use for drive images and file copies, and a NAS with two 3TB drive cartridges that I use for external drive image storage. I'm well covered for storage room, but the cloud is beginning to make sense for off site storage. I'm contemplating upgrading to Office 365, and that now comes with 5 installations, and 1TB cloud storage for each installation. Uploading could be done at night, which is when Task Scheduler takes care of all my routine maintenance, anyway.

Bottom line is that it's looking better all the time; I just haven't quite made the jump yet. I have yet to use folders, so I'll have to look into that aspect of it a little closer.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.

#3 suggests that it’s possible to upload photos in small batches, which is what I need. Syncing the entire pictures folder in one go would probably take hours, and use up my monthly data allowance in one go. Hopefully this will also prevent additional delays when booting the PC, or will it still sync everything?

A cheap safe may be fireproof, but it would almost certainly be lightweight and probably portable, making it an immediate target for burglars. Remembering the devastation and loss caused by a burglary in 2003 when we were on holiday, i don’t feel this is the answer.

Before reluctantly creating a MS account I still need to know if any free space is available: it’s 15GB for users of Online Office, but MS seem to be rather reticent as regards others. Also, have I misunderstood Fred Langa’s claim that Onedrive exists only on MS servers, and not my PC?
    Last edited by georgelee; 2015-02-10 at 16:49. Reason: Add PS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PS Puzzled as to how a Windows phone can back up negative film, as it would need to be developed and converted to digital format.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    PS Puzzled as to how a Windows phone can back up negative film, as it would need to be developed and converted to digital format.
    If you're referring to "camera roll", it isn't negative film, it's just a folder name for digital images that haven't been moved from the "camera roll" to another folder, or offloaded to a PC.

Unleash Windows

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2015-02-10)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    OneDrive includes 15GB free for everyone. Office365 users now have unlimited storage. Between grandfathering "old" users and several bonuses (like the Camera Roll on my Windows phone) I have 40 GB of free OneDrive storage.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rui,

Google or Wikipedia must have presented outdated info. Now it just remains to determine whether the pictures remain on my PC or are only accessible via the cloud.

George

Administrator
    Thanks
    George,

The pictures can both be in your computer and the cloud, although the cloud is the main storage media. OneDrive is integrated with Windows 8.1 and from File Explorer, you can specify where the root of your OneDrive is mapped, on your local disk. You can also specify whether access to OneDrive is possible only when you're online or also when you are offline. If the latter, your files will be both on the cloud and your computer.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    By the way, you may be interested to know that OneDrive options are in several places: Go to Charms/Settings/PcSettings/OneDrive, and also Open the OneDrive App and go to Charms/Settings. Also can make changes from File Explorer.

I've got a question:
    Can an existing folder be specified to be included in OneDrive's online storage ie just one folder within the Documents folder? Or does the folder need to be physically moved into the Onedrive folder?

Thanks
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2015-02-11 at 11:34.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I've got a question:
    Can an existing folder be specified to be included in OneDrive's online storage ie just one folder within the Documents folder? Or does the folder need to be physically moved into the Onedrive folder?

Thanks
    No, it needs to be moved to the OneDrive folder. That's one of the downsides of the OneDrive client, for me.

There are products that will sync other folders with OneDrive, GoodSync does it, for example. It does require you to authenticate before it syncs, which is a big downside.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanks, Rui. I agree, that is unfortunate. Another free product that lets you choose folders is iDrive. But has less free storage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast