Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

What is Google Up To?

I watch Youtube clips from time to time, particularly classic rock video clips. In the last month or so, maybe a little longer, the clips have been jerky, stopping with the rotating marbles, then starting again. After a couple of these interruptions, a little blue box pops up beneath the video window:

Google stuff.PNG

Clicking on the "Find out why" button, I see:

Google stuff 2.PNG

But there's a problem. I have Amazon Prime membership, which includes free Prime Movie streaming, tens of thousands of titles, lots of them in HD. Immediately after the jerky 5 minute classic rock video clip in a normal size window with an even smaller video clip window, I can click over to Amazon, select a Prime HD Movie, and watch it in full screen, no pauses, no jerks, no rotating marbles. I'm still on the same ISP.

So, what's Google up to? Their streaming software isn't up to par? Amazon has better software for streaming than Google is capable of? I don't think so. Since this has started, I've checked it out at different times of day, etc. I will invariably get a problem with Youtube, which immediately goes away when I select an Amazon Prime HD move. If I go back to Google after an Amazon Prime HD movie, I'll soon get the little blue box, and jerky clips.

What's Google up to?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Hmm, just tried a classic rock clip (Queen, we are the champions, bit too modern for me) and it works fine. Can you give a link or two so we're looking at the same thing?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I watch Youtube clips from time to time, particularly classic rock video clips...

So, what's Google up to? Their streaming software isn't up to par?...

What's Google up to?...

Whenever I watch uTube videos I don't have the problem you describe.

Also, I doubt if Google could have much to do with the problem. Righto, so you might use Google to find the clips you want to watch, but once you are watching you are downloading direct from whatever uTube server the clips are hosted on.

Am not quite sure exactly how to interpret the chart in your screenshot. It seems to indicate that your download speed is best between mid-morning, in your location, but drops off sharply after midnight (again, in your location).

My download speed is rated at 6Mbps, and whenever I have tested it the results are generally between 4.9Mbps and 6Mbps.

Have you tried running connection speed tests? (assuming you are on ADSL not cable). See: DSL Reports Speedtest Speedtest.net Speedtest.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    @Coochin: The graph represents the video consumption = traffic output to the ISP.

Which browsers have you tested, bbearren?

I'm loathe to suggest it's Google's subtle ploy to only give the best experience to Chrome users.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    @Coochin: The graph represents the video consumption = traffic output to the ISP.

Which browsers have you tested, bbearren?

I'm loathe to suggest it's Google's subtle ploy to only give the best experience to Chrome users.
    I use IE 11 (yes, I've tried Chrome, and I don't care for it, just as I've tried all the others, and I've stayed with IE throughout the years), but that's not my point. Two relevant facts. Youtube is wholly owned and supported by Google; it's not a separate entity, so regardless of which server it might be coming from, it's a Google server. The other relevant fact is that the very same ISP, at the very same time of day, can stream a full-screen HD movie from another content provider consistently without any issues whatsoever. I have never, not even once, had any problems streaming an Amazon Prime video in HD.

The Youtube videos, (and it happens with regularity regardless of clip type—I get the same little blue message box if I'm trying to watch an interview with Neil DeGrasse Tyson video clip) are not even HD. The classic rock clips are typically 360p. To be fair, I rarely get the stuttering, stop/start problem in the early hours of the typical work day, but then, that's not the time of day that I would be watching video clips. I'm usually doing other stuff.

Every time I have checked Youtube streaming problems against Amazon, while Youtube is stuttering with a small video window in a regular size IE window, Amazon can faultlessly stream a full screen full HD movie. Or restated, at the same time of day, over the same ISP, using IE 11, Youtube has trouble streaming a 5-minute 360p video clip while Amazon has no difficulty whatsoever in streaming a full screen 1080p two-hour movie.

My point is that the difference in performance is related to the difference in the source; Google vs Amazon. The issue cannot be my ISP. So what's Google up to?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Have you tried using Chrome just to test if the vids are OK? If they are then perhaps Google are doing something, but if they are just as bad then it's nothing to do with the browser you use. That would be my take on the issue, as you just said that you don't like Chrome (fair enough) but you didn't say whether you had problems or not. Oh and BTW I tried on FF (never having liked IE - it takes all sorts!).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Have you tried using Chrome just to test if the vids are OK? If they are then perhaps Google are doing something, but if they are just as bad then it's nothing to do with the browser you use. That would be my take on the issue, as you just said that you don't like Chrome (fair enough) but you didn't say whether you had problems or not. Oh and BTW I tried on FF (never having liked IE - it takes all sorts!).
    It isn't the video clips. I've used bookmarked video clips and time-shifting to determine that the video clip quality does not appear to be the issue. In addition, I realize that the Youtube content is free, and the Prime content is a paid service.

But then, there's the rest of the Google-verse that Google is promoting, of which Youtube is a part. Perhaps Google's popup explanation of poor playback quality is their way of saying that they're not going to put enough servers online to handle peak traffic volume.

I'm not a fan of Google. I don't use Google's search engine directly. I use Startpage, which does use Google, but maintains my privacy.

Start Page Privacy.PNG

I don't know. I'm just wondering. What is Google up to?

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Why not give us a few URLs of jerky clips to see if it's for everyone or just you?

Have you tried using the troubleshooting tips linked in your second screenshot?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bruce,

I know YouTube is in the process of converting from Flash to HTML5 video, do you think this may have anything to do with, e.g. IE's support for HTML5? Just a thought.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I think it would not be obvious just where your youtube or Amazon video is coming from. Popular content is frequently cached around the internet. Akamai for instance is a player in this game. I am not sure if this applies to Amazon but they surely have mega server farms as does Google. It maybe the 'pipe' is shorter or at times more congested with Youtube. I have intermittant problems w/ Hulu and yes it is VERY annoying! I get home from work and notice the latest Blacklist is in que an d ju st b ar l ey g ett i ng started w h en w h a m o. And the next day at the same time just fine. It is one of the things that may keep me from getting HuluPlus (the other is there are still commecials).

Speed tests during such times say 16-17 Mb

Last edited by wavy; 2015-02-09 at 16:44.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Why not give us a few URLs of jerky clips to see if it's for everyone or just you?
    Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1QwaOYCCDY

Have you tried using the troubleshooting tips linked in your second screenshot?
    Here's the link:

https://support.google.com/youtube/c...checklist&rd=1

The answer is yes. And the follow-up is no, it makes no difference.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Bruce,

I know YouTube is in the process of converting from Flash to HTML5 video, do you think this may have anything to do with, e.g. IE's support for HTML5? Just a thought.
    Google's troubleshooting tips don't mention HTML5.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren
    No jerking that I can see in either Chrome, Firefox or IE.

(Win 7, Chrome v40.0.2214.94 m, Firefox v35.0.1, IE v11.0.15)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Speed tests during such times say 16-17 Mb
    At the moment I'm getting glitchy Youtube performance. I just ran two speed tests. One was from less than 50 miles away, and it was 3.99 Mbps download and .5 Mbps upload. The second test was from Seattle, Washington (how many hops in that one?); download 4.0 Mbps, upload .49 Mbps. I'm paying for 4.0/0.5 Mbps (highest available in my area). My modem says I'm connected to the telephone office at 4.704/0.576 Mbps.

But I still get full screen full HD flawless movies from Amazon, anytime.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1QwaOYCCDY works fine here - but it's only 360p - should work on 0.5-2MB connections.

Google have been bringing in HTML5 for 2-3 years now, if their troubleshooting page doesn't suggest switching to it for testing purposes (HTML5 was only useful for relatively new uploads, it should now be available for a much larger number of videos), they really need to update that page.

You might also need to experiment with the cookies stored, logging into Google, sol cookies, etc. to find out what's really behind this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast