5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Today's file system mystery

I am in the process of sorting out a logical layout of the Start Menu and I want to create some shortcuts in the appropriate places in the file system - but am encountering some odd obstacles.

First, as in previous version of Windows, the Start Menu shown when you click the Start button is a combination of 2 places and I am not sure which is the best in which to construct my preferred layout - any advice gratefully received as it would surely be better to start out doing this in the "right" place ? My choice might be decided by the discussion below on creating shortcuts, but surely that shouldn't be the ruling factor ??

Location 1: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    Location 2: C:\Users\<My name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Now for the obstacles - I am finding it difficult to create shortcuts of my own in either of these two locations, and they are not the same:

Location 1: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    This seems to be the preferred location for newly installed software to place its shortcuts.
    I cannot create shortcuts by right clicking folders in the LH pane - there is no such option
    If I right click a folder in the RH pane I get an option "Create shortcut" but when I click it I get a warning message "Windows can't create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?"
    Of course I can do that and then copy it to where I want it, but that is tedious in the extreme.
    The File menu has no option to create a new shortcut.

Location 2: C:\Users\<My Name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Windows doesn't naturally put much here, although some new programs - such as Dropbox - end up in this location.
    When I right click on a folder in the LH pane there is no option to create a shortcut and New only offers a folder or a briefcase.
    However the File menu offers a wide range of options, including a shortcut.
    Clicking a folder in the RH pane and Create shortcut produces a new shortcut to that folder, which doesn't seem to be much use really.

So I seem to have two options, neither completely unsatisfactory:

A. Build my Start Menu in Location 1 which is the "preferred location" but creating shortcuts is very tedious.
    B. Build my Start menu in Location 2 where creating shortcuts is simple, but when new software is installed I'll have to transfer its shortcut(s) to here from Location 1.

The workaround I think I am looking for would be to be able to create shortcuts in Location 1. Is that possible - Registry tweak or something else ?

Or is there another Location I can use perhaps ?

Or might turning off UAC give me the permission I need ?

Many thanks

Martin
    Last edited by MartinM; 2015-02-09 at 06:06.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I should have delved further before posting, but I did spend ages trying to do this the right way.

I have turned off UAC and now I can create shortcuts anywhere I want to.

A different question then - are there any real risks with turning off UAC ? I could easily turn it on again once I have built my Start Menu if there are.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    ...are there any real risks with turning off UAC ?...
    By all means turn off UAC until you have achieved what you want. But don't leave UAC turned off. The main intent w/ UAC is to prevent unknown programs from installing without your knowledge or permission.

If you leave UAC turned off don't be surprised if some malware or browser hihacker infects your system.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

MartinM (2015-02-09)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Coochin - I will turn UAC back on again when I've constructed the menu.