5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File History gobbles space

I bought my first Win 8 desktop a few months ago, with a single 500 GB HDD. I decided a few days ago to turn on File History. Since the HDD only had about 300 GB of free space, I set the File History location to a NAS unit with 700 GB of free space. In just a few days, File History used up all but 3 GB of the free space on the NAS! I've turned off File History for now, but am wondering if this is typical behavior. If so, how much storage space would I need to make File History work with its default settings? Or should I change its settings?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    "By default modified files are saved every hour, stored forever, and the cache takes up 5% of the disk space of the configured drive. These options can be modifies by clicking the Advanced Settings link in the File History Window."
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/.../jj984238.aspx

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    This happened to me when I first used File History and I made a note of how I fixed it. Suck it and see..

FYI my FileHistory on a 1Tb external drive is now 142Gb - the amount of data I'm backing up is about 70Gb. A lot of that increase is because I'm tagging my digital photos, so they're being backed up quite often.

I had this problem in that it saved the whole of the C drive, more than once. this is a known problem.
    I got round it by switching off sharing in the homegroup
    (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\HomeGroup - click on "change what you're sharing with...."
    and change everything to not shared. It still adds files which haven't changed but not to
    any great extent (I was running out of space on a 2Tb NAS drive, and my files are only about 60Gb),
    but since I stopped sharing in homegroup (in January) it's about doubled to 130Gb.
    There is obviously a bug somewhere but it appears that MS is keeping schtum about it.
    It suits my purpose to have continuous backups in between my MR disk image I do once a week
    but I don't normally need to go to a older version of a file (but could do it from my MR image).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Even though I don't use Homegroup, I switched file sharing off, and will see what happens over the next few days.