Lounger
    Thanks

Problem reading DVD

I have a DVD containing various .mp3 files and .pdf files sorted into a folder structure. I'm fairly certain it was burned on a Mac system. My old laptop running Vista Home Premium x64 can read and copy files from the DVD with no issues. My newer laptop (Tosh C55 with Win 7 Home Premium x64, 8G ram, Intel i5) can't see the DVD in Windows Explorer, and MultiCommander 4.6.2 simply hangs when the DVD drive is selected. I spent most of a day trying to clean up the system after it was hosed by the hang-up. The Win 7 box has no issues reading other manufactured or burned media.
    Could this be caused by the Mac origin of the DVD?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

Thanks
    Why not use Vista laptop to copy all files into a folder, than burn a DVD using Vista? I suspect your Toshiba can read Vista-Windows created DVD much easier.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    I spent most of a day trying to clean up the system after it was hosed by the hang-up.
    Let it takes it's time reading, and do so after a freshly booted system to ensure you have enough free memory and other resources.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Roland and CLiNT. I think going forward I will copy the necessary files one by one. The nice thing about having multiple computers on a wireless network is that there is almost always a work-around for such challenges.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is much more likely to be a hardware issue than software.

Minute variations in the precise alignment of the burner and the reader in different drives can radically affect their ability to be read - and DVDs are even more sensitive than CDs in this respect.

From the symptoms I would hazard a guess that that's what's going on here.
    Last edited by MartinM; 2015-02-11 at 17:17.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinM For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2015-02-11),toextra (2015-02-11)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Martin:
    Most likely true. When I have time I will try reading the DVD with my wife's Win 7 laptop and report the result

Lounger
    Thanks
    SOLVED
    Toshiba's diagnostic tree led me to a Microsoft Fix-it specific to Matsushita DVD drives.
    Thanx to all for your responses.