Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Beware KB3001652 Feb. 10 updates

MS update for visual studios 10.
    The update starts and then just hangs. I thought it was just me until I googled it from my other computer and found out there are tons of reports about the same results.
    I ended up canceling the installation and rebooting to get out of it and will have to see if there are any "damages/problems" . I went back and was able to re-download the remaining updates and install them, KB3001652 wasn't offered the second time.
    KB3001652 was offered on my win 7 Pro 64 bit but NOT on my Win 7 Pro 32 bit. There were a lot of reports of Win 8/8.1 machines with the same results.
    Another screw-up in WU's evidently.
    Update: see post #22 because the update is back
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2015-02-11 at 15:22. Reason: added info

Thanks
    Another anomally with updates today. I installed the IE update KB3021952 along with other updates and after rebooting, Secunia PSI 3.0 pops up saying that IE needs a manual update. So I check WU again and sure enough there is another IE update KB3034196.
    If it wasn't for Secunia, I never would have known that there was another IE update. Not sure if it was late coming out or if the 1st IE update needed to be installed before the 2nd IE update?

Thanks
    It appears that KB3001652 has been pulled.

Thanks
    In my case KB3001652 shows up in update history as cancelled. Not sure what the effects of the remnants of KB3001652 ( since it did download the file ) on my computer will do but there is no way to clean it out
    as far as I know.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It gave me 16 but reported 14 as successful with a FF failure on one.

As there were 5 variants for that error I rebooted for the others to configure and went back into WUs to see if whatever was presented again.

KB3034196 was waiting and it was a few mins before there was any progress on the 420KB, but it finally installed.

When I checked the history, found that it was KB3032622 that had failed so went back in and did a manual check for updates which gave me that one back again - so, 17 updates in all.

I think the KB3034196 was the extra one as I'd seen the latter originally listed when I checked to see what it was wanting to give me.

Thanks
    KB3034196 wasn't offered in my first manual run of WU and I ran into the problem with KB3001652 which I finally ( after 30 minutes of being stalled ) cancelled. Then I ran WU again which seemed to take longer than usual to find the updates and got the rest of the important and 2 of the recommended updates, once again KB3034196 was not offered. On reboot is when the Secunia alert popped up so I went back to WU and sure enough there was KB3034196.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's almost as if MS were doing running repairs and amazingly fast for them - but I think an update was pulled last month as well - or was that the month before ?

KB3001652 isn't on my system.

I have another Win 7 laptop to update so I'll see how the WUs perform on that one.

Thanks
    Updates have been somewhat fluid for about 8 months now, time users took a few days out to watch others' reactions before dipping their own toes in.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Updates have been somewhat fluid for about 8 months now, time users took a few days out to watch others' reactions before dipping their own toes in.
    I suppose someone has to go in first - once I've checked to see what's on offer, I usually let them rip and so far haven't had any problems and this is the first time for some while that I've gotten a WU fail - but that may have been MS induced this time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    I agree.

Have found during the last two years or so it is good policy to wait two-three days after "patch Tuesday" before installing the month's updates.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    I agree.

Have found during the last two years or so it is good policy to wait two-three days after "patch Tuesday" before installing the month's updates.
    I don't mind being your guinea pig Coochin but WUs can have different effects on Win 7 computers - a prime example was when one particular WU was causing boot problems for some but not for others.

I was in the latter category then so I think it could well be an individual type of thing as to whether any are going to have an adverse effect.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I don't mind being your guinea pig Coochin but WUs can have different effects on Win 7 computers...
    I'd rather you weren't my "guinea pig" thank you

It certainly seems the case that some WU patches have affected some computers but not others.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I have 19 downloading/installing on my 8.1 desktop, and 14 downloading/installing on my 7 Pro desktop. I'll get my laptop updated when those two finish.

I always install everything offered, putting a check in those that are unchecked from time to time. When I checked yesterday late afternoon/early evening, there were no updates available. This morning when I checked they're here, so the game's afoot.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I also had an extra security update for IE 11 in Windows 7 Pro and 8.1 Pro, KB3034196 that didn't show the first time around.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    I installed all the updates last night and everything seems to be working fine since. The C Library update failed on the first attempt but installed successfully after a reboot. I also received an additional IE update after installing everything else and rescanning for updates.
    HTH

WU20150210.JPG
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2015-02-11 at 09:28.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast