Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Windows Update More Information...REALLY!

Hey Y'all,

I just saw an update in Windows Update from Western Digital Technologies and thought I'd check it out before installing using the More information link in the right hand panel of Windows Update....BIG HELP!
    WUMoreInfo.JPG

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I'm almost embarrassed to post this, but first hit from a Google search for "WD SES device" (with quotes) was a WD knowledgebase article What is the SES driver, why is it needed, and how to get the driver popup to stop. The article lists "Last Updated 09/24/2014". Don't hold your breath!
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    RG - it looks like that one came by stagecoach given its release date.

Earlier this month I got an out of cycle WU for my Realtek Wireless driver but it wasn't a full driver update because of it size and the driver details in Device Manager show the current install as being April 2013 - probably had to swim across the pond

Thanks
    Hmmm!
    I thought the word of wisdom was to "Never accept driver updates from Microsoft". Eh?
    But, always get drivers ONLY from the manufacturers web site.
    I seem to remember reading that from various EXPERTS on
    Or did I miss something?

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Hmmm!
    I thought the word of wisdom was to "Never accept driver updates from Microsoft". Eh?
    But, always get drivers ONLY from the manufacturers web site.
    I seem to remember reading that from various EXPERTS on
    Or did I miss something?

The Doctor
    I'm a contrarian on this issue. I normally accept Microsoft driver updates and have only been burned once. In that case, it was a simple process to roll back to the previous driver:
    Control Panel > Device Manger > find the device in question and select Properties > Driver Tab > Roll Back Driver Button

Other options to get back to the previous driver are System Restore and Image Backup restore.

As I said, the vast majority of Microsoft driver updates work just fine. You used them when you originally installed the OS, why not with updates as well....

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I'm a contrarian on this issue. I normally accept Microsoft driver updates and have only been burned once. In that case, it was a simple process to roll back to the previous driver:
    Control Panel > Device Manger > find the device in question and select Properties > Driver Tab > Roll Back Driver Button

Other options to get back to the previous driver are System Restore and Image Backup restore.

As I said, the vast majority of Microsoft driver updates work just fine. You used them when you originally installed the OS, why not with updates as well....

Jerry
    Just going down the list in Device Manager, my Audio inputs and outputs have Microsoft drivers, but my HD Audio device driver is by Realtek Semiconductor Corp via Intel. My Disk drives have Microsoft drivers, but my SATA controller driver is from Intel. My imaging device has HP drivers. My keyboard and mouse are Microsoft wireless 5000, and they have Microsoft drivers. My monitor has a Microsoft generic driver, but my Graphics controller driver is from Intel. My network adapter has an Intel driver, and my motherboard busses all have Intel drivers.

On my laptops, my device drivers are Dell/Intel, with generic Microsoft drivers mixed in.

I hide driver updates from Microsoft, and I don't go looking for device drivers for devices that are not giving me any issues.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Some of those non Microsoft drivers were initially installed by Microsoft as well when you installed the OS. your procedure seems to be working for you just as mine does for me. As long as it stays that way there's no reson for either of us to change.

Jerry