5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to avoid Win7/Win8 dual-boot hassles

LANGALIST PLUS

How to avoid Win7/Win8 dual-boot hassles

By Fred Langa

There are several ways to run both Windows 7 and Windows 8 on the same PC, but some methods are significantly easier and safer to set up. Plus: A disappointing Secunia PSI failure and free, pro-quality tutorials for PowerShell, the apparent successor to the classic command window.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/how-to-avoid-win7win8-dual-boot-hassles/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    This is in relation to the Secunia problem in the article. There IS a fix which is at https://secunia.com/community/forum/...unia_wont_load. I set out the fix from El Gato with my supplement which speak for themselves:
    El Gato: ...it occurred to me that the program was not seeing an open and functional network connection. The Secunia PSI agent service was running. So I stopped it and changed the service login from the local service to a login with my user name. The advanced options on the service login tab show how to do it. Started up the service again, The icon is red and showed one program had to be updated. Still very slow to open. Finally the need a scan screen showed up and ran the scan. The green bar finally showed up and the scan completed.
    If anyone is more articulate in explaining how to do this on a service, please jump in.

Me: I post this also to make one additional point. If like me you use a standard account for normal operations, that login will NOT work for the service. You must use the login for your administrator account. Good luck to all that have this odd problem.

I hope this is helpful to you and Wayne.

Ken Kashmarek
    I have been running Win7 and Win8 in dual boot mode for as long as Win8 has been available in the preliminary test releases. My node is a 32-bit computer with MBR formatted disk (GPT formatted disks with UEFI nodes is a different story).

I performed my install of Win8 on a separate hard disk (disk 0 was the vendor provided configuration, while an added drive as disk 1 was the Win8 running partition).

Using the bootable DVD of each Win8 install/update/upgrade, at times it was necessary to perform a startup repair to get the BCD working properly. I used the bcdedit command (in an elevated cmd prompt window) to view the BCD layout, and installed the Visual BCD Editor program to edit and make changes to the BCD.

However, enough BCD changes have been made over time such that Visual BCD Editor no longer works for me to update the BCD. I had to revert to msconfig under each OS for this.

The BCD also includes partitions for WinXP, Win7 normal use, Win7 recovery use, and Win8. XP is displayed as "Older version of Windows".

If Win7 is the default boot selection, the boot menu is presented in the Win7 text screen.

When Win8 is the default boot selection, the boot menu is presented in the Win8 graphics screen.

I have had to run startup repair more than once to correct errors hit in the BCD. At one time, I had to manually delete the old file, build a new one, then run startup repair to put the missing partitions back in the list. That takes some effort, and patience.

This issue is now complicated by having a Linux partition on this node. It now boots into GRUB, and to get Windows, the only item that shows up is the Win8 boot loader (that is all the Linux system, Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTR, sees. Selecting the Win8 entry from the GRUB menu then brings up the Win8 graphics screen boot selection.

I have a similar situation with a newer 64-bit workstation that has GPT disk and is UEFI enabled (though originally delivered with Win7, it mimics BIOS). This system has essentially worked from the get-go for dual booting, and comes up in the Win8 graphics screen. As with the older workstation, each bootable partition is on a separate disk drive. Win10 Technical Preview is now also loaded here, but in a partition on drive 1 (still shows up on the Win8 multi-boot selection list).

My 64-bit laptop has a similar configuration but the Win8 install is on a different partition on drive 0.

Thanks
    I also dual-boot with Ubuntu Linux. My Windows partition is Windows 7 Home Premium.

Yes, GRUB2 does take over as Boot Manager when installing Ubuntu. This actually works better than trying any of the Windows dual-boots I used while I was experimenting with Windows 8. GRUB seems to know all it needs to know about Windows bootloaders and other stuff. And if GRUB has issues, there is a boot disk (independent CD) which has a one-button GRUB fixer. Works on most Windows-Linux conflict issues I've encountered so far.

On the Windows side, EasyBCD seems to do a decent job of managing the dual-boot if GRUB has not taken over as Boot Manager. Again, there are tools, some available from a Boot Disk, for EasyBCD, which can help take care of any issues which may arise between different Windows versions or Windows and Linux.

But it is also true, as the article says, that a Virtual PC is safer and easier to get rid of and start over, if anything goes wrong with either OS. So I am not sure I would dual-boot again under Windows 10, even if I find I still like to do some things in Linux. Linux would be my choice as host OS, but Win 10 Pro would probably rather I would use its Hyper-V and make Linux the Guest OS. That's a bit complicated with GRUB2, but it can be done.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Another comment on the Secunia problem.
    It's happened to me before and I traced it to MalwareBytes. When I installed MalwareBytes and ran it, it finds "PUPS" in Secunia and quarantines them. Then Secunia can't connect to the internet.
    My fix: I uninstalled MalwareBytes, uninstalled/reinstalled Secunia PSI then reinstalled MalwareBytes BUT before running it I went to options/exceptions and made sure that the Secunia folder was excluded from scanning. Works for me.

Ken Kashmarek
    Win10 is likely to have a locked UEFI, so things like dual boot with another Windows partition and/or Linux, will be a thing of the past.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kashmarek View Post
    Win10 is likely to have a locked UEFI, so things like dual boot with another Windows partition and/or Linux, will be a thing of the past.
    To clarify, Secure Boot may be on and not have an option ton disable it. That will be left to the manufacturers to decide.

UEFI by itself does not prevent multi-partition, multi-OS, multi-boot disks.
    -- Bob Primak --