New Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlink nightmares (SR2)

One of my users has designed a nifty set of MS Office documents which are all hyperlinked together. There is one that is causing us grief. You access this Word document via a hyperlink and within the document there are also lots of hyperlinks. A lot of the time you can go into it fine but after three or four attempts it comes up with a Program Error: 'Winword.exe has generated errors...'. After that it pretty much does the same thing whichever of the hyperlinks you click on but it is always the same one that starts it off.
    We're using Office 2000 and I've tried with no SR, SR1a & SR2 and get the same thing. I've tried it on several machines, all running Windows 2000 and the same thing happens on each. I've tried deleting the hyperlink and recreating it, copying and pasting the contents of the document onto a new blank Word doc and none of this seems to make any difference. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mel

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hyperlink nightmares (SR2)

I see 9 reads and no replies.

I'm bored and could use a good problem right now.

If you feel confident in sending me (by email) the documents ZIPped (PKZip or WinZip), I'll take a look.

I've written several small applications that ferret around with Hyperlinks, and from time to time I start thinking I know all about it ......

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Chris. I have just finished tailoring the document so that it doesn't contain any sensitive information so I could send it to you and, would you believe it, I can't get it to error anymore. I'll try and put together a less cut-down version that still errors and will post it here.

Thanks!

Mel

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> put together a less cut-down version that still errors and will post it here.

I believe it, and that's good news. You probably have a corrupt Hyperlink in there somewhere.

It ought to be relatively easy (albeit plodding progress) to determine which Hyperlink (hopefully not HyperLINKS) cause the problem by taking the original document, cutting it in half, working with the first half, then the second. Cut each half in half, 1st qtr, 2nd qtr? No, then 3rdQtr, 4th Qtr and so on.