New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with fonts in Vista with latest Windows updates (installed 11th Feb)

I installed all the latest Windows updates for Vista earlier tonight and have found that the fonts have changed across both Chrome and Firefox browsers. Short of doing a restore or waiting for Microsoft to fix whatever it is they have broken, I do not know how to get things back the way they were. Any help would be appreciated (my computer was up to date with previous updates so the problem did occur in one of the new updates)

I know this problem has affected other people as it was even mentioned on my local radio station as one of their computers had auto-updated and the fonts had changed.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My daughter has exactly the same problem, and she uses her laptop a lot for trading. I hope someone can offer a solution.
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just found this on another forum:
    The KB3013455 patch screwed up my fonts. I removed the patch and everything is fine again.

Start-->Control Panel-->Security-->View Installed Updates

Search for KB3013455 (search box is top right of window).
    Right-click then select Uninstall.

Will need to reboot.
    Last edited by timsinc; 2015-02-12 at 13:49.
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have since read this (in the Patch Watch of Windows Secrets):-

Attacking the kernel via TrueType fonts

The two patches in MS15-010 fix six vulnerabilities in the Windows kernel. Rated critical, KB 3013455 patches a vulnerability that could allow remote attacks on Windows systems. The patch fixes the way the kernel validates or error-checks objects such as TrueType fonts. A related patch, KB 3023562, fixes a Windows security feature and is rated important.

Unfortunately, after installing KB 3013455, some Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Server 2008 systems showed degraded font quality, as reported in a Windows IT Pro story and Microsoft Community posts. Microsoft is researching the issue and will reportedly follow up when — or if — it finds a solution.

- What to do: I'm sticking with my usual kernel-update policy: put KB 3013455 and KB 3023562 (MS15-010) on hold for a couple of weeks. Microsoft might reissue the former.

- which confirms the post above. Thanks all for your help.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I applied the KB3013455 update based on the instructions endorsed by Woody Leonhard in this article.

But it was not possible to follow the instructions as given. Once I installed KB3013455 and downloaded KB3037639, I could not install the latter -- I keep getting the following error dialog claiming that the update doesn't apply to my system:

Cant install KB3037639.jpg

I'm on Vista Home Premium SP2, x64.

Now my Notepad text is severely degraded and the font in my Web search results looks fuzzy and crude, like this:

After installing KB3013455.jpg

I tried rebooting, but that didn't help matters.

How do I get this follow-up update installed on my system?
    Last edited by JorgeA; 2015-02-23 at 11:16. Reason: typo