2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How can I remove a phantom CD drive?

In Windows Explorer (7 Ultimate) I have a working CD/DVD drive (D) and another CD drive (F) that isn't physically in my computer and that I can't access or delete.

When I click on it, a window pops up: Please insert a disk into CD drive (F)

It doesn't show up in Disk Management, or any other place I can find.

Is there any way to remove this from Windows Explorer?

Thanks
    Go to Device Manager, click on View > Show hidden devices. It should show up there. Be sure to check its Properties to make sure you have the right one, then Uninstall it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Did as you suggested, unhid devices, but under CD/DVD drives, there's only the one drive physically present. No other drives shown. Looked at all the other device categories and still couldn't find it.

Thanks
    Have you used any 3rd party software such as Daemon tools to create a virtual CD/DVD?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I inherited this machine, so I can't say what was done the first few months when it was owned by a very sophisticated user.

I have UltraISO in the list of programs, but have never used it. I don't know if it installed a virtual drive, but it's very possible the drive in question is virtual.

Thanks
    That sounds a very likely culprit as it does support virtual drives. Hopefully someone with 1st hand knowledge of it will see this thread and respond.

Thanks
    Not quite sure but I suspect UltraISO is much the same as MagicISO which I have used a few times to create ISO images of DVD videos.

If you uninstall UltraISO from "Programs and Features" the virtual CD/DVD drive should be uninstalled also.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Joro - Have a look at posts #20 and #21 in this UltraISO support forum for a way of removing the virtual drive without un-installing UltraISO.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    In the event that it is not UltraISO, here is a way to see everything in Device Manager that has ever been connected to your computer. It helped me to find a USB drive and get rid of it. In win 7 this view wouldn't come up any other way than following these instructions. It's a quote that I saved from an older thread.

Open an elevated Command Prompt (Start/Search, type "cmd" [no quotes]).
    At the top of the list of results right-click "cmd" (cmd.exe) then left-click "Run as Administrator".
    At the prompt type "SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1" (no quotes) then press Enter.
    Then type "START DEVMGMT.MSC" then press Enter.
    A "Device Manager" window should open; click on View/Show hidden devices

Any greyed-out (disconnected) devices listed under "Disk Drives" that you recognise as your drive should be removed (right-click/Uninstall).
    Any greyed-out (disconnected) devices listed under "Unknown Devices" should be safe to remove.

Once you have removed any problem devices you should restart Windows

Hope this helps you as much as it did me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2015-02-12)