Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Empty .wab file, access denied to .PST files. Outlookk 2007

Wow, I am baffled on this one. I re-installed WIN8.1 from scratch. I re-installed all of the programs I use. (Saved over 20GB of junk space! Loading sped up dramatically). I have done this many times over the years and I have never had a problem getting my Contacts or my PST files back.

I restored both of them from True Image 2015 backups. No problem there. However:

1. When I went to set up Outlook the Contact file was empty. I checked the source file backed up by TI. It was there, but it was also empty. I went back as far as a month and they are all empty. I had been successfully using Outlook daily for the whole period of time I was backing up. Is there another file other than the one under Contacts (.wab) that I need to find?
    2. When I tried to add my older PST files to the new installation of Outlook I was denied access to the files. I have done this many times before without any problems. I am mystified. Any ideas?

Thanking you all in advance for your help!!

Bill

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hello billrice,

As you have two query. I am giving you resolution one by one:

1.Regarding to WAB file:
    • Cause: After you export the addresses from previous Windows Address Book to a Current Windows Address Book.

• Resolution: To resolve this problem you can follow this process:
    a) Open the Window Address Book (WAB).
    b) On the View Menu, Hit Folders and Groups.
    c) Click the appropriate identities folders to display the addresses.

For more information you can see this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/268569/EN-US/

Also, Outlook cannot directly import from a WAB file. But this problem can be resolved by built-in Contact Folder in Window 8.

1. Go to Windows Contacts Folder by simply typing the term “Contacts” in start menu bar.
    2. Once it will open, click on “Import” button.
    3. Browse WAB file which you want to import and click on Ok.

Now, simply import the contacts of WAB file into MS Outlook using Import and Export wizard.

2. Regarding PST File:
    May be your PST files has been corrupted or damaged that’s why denied access problem occurring. You can perform scanpst.exe utility software as provided by Microsoft to repair Outlook PST Files and can access PST Files.

Thanks & Regards
    Clark Kent

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clark Kent. Thank you for the valiant effort to save my files.

I had tried everything to get my address book back. Contact file was empty all the way back to October of last year in back-ups. After I was able to get my .pst files back I discovered that the "address book" is no longer in the "name.contact" file. it is now stored in one of the .pst files!

I was finally able to get the pst files back by erasing all the files I had restored to the new installation and then restoring them again from a different backup version. This time the email files and the address book were there and able to be added under the tools/datafiles tab. Apparently you were correct that the files must have been corrupted somehow in the original file restore.

I thank you so much for your time and efforts.

Regards,
    Bill