New Lounger
    Thanks

Reason fan on 1 second, off 6 seconds, repeat?

My Dell Inspiron 560s warms up for several minutes then the fan comes on for about 1 second, then goes off for about 6 seconds. This continues to repeat. Is this an indication that the computer is overheating and needs a good dust cleaning? Or could it be another problem?
    Don Sminkey,
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2015-02-13 at 14:55. Reason: Removed email address

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Could be an overheating problem or the fan going bad or a power supply problem. A good cleaning is a fine place to start.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don,

Suggest you remove/alter the email address in your post, so as not to attract the attention of 'bots.

Zig

Thanks
    You need to be a bit more specific. There are several different types of fans in a typical computer. Which is it?

Normally case and CPU fans do not start and stop in a running system, they tend to modify their rpm based on temperature
    sensors built into the motherboard & recognized in the BIOS or EUFI BIOS.
    Random starting and stopping indicates a problem with the fan hardware itself that goes beyond just some dirt/dust build up.

The only exception that I can see to this are some of the newer PSU's fans, they certainly can start and stop based on Watt loads
    and temperatures in the PSU itself that will be totally independent of EUFI or BIOS.
    There are a number of small low profile utilities that you can run to check temperatures & fan speeds throughout the system.
    CPUID's HWMonitor (the zip version), is one of the better ones.
    You're very unlikely to see a utility that monitors PSU fan speeds, so you'll have to eyeball a PSU's fan yourself.

Opening the case up and giving it a good visual exam, and placing your fingers near the hotspots can also yield valuable information.
    It'll give you a chance to see what is happening and where.

Giving the PC a good cleaning if it is more than a year old is always a good idea, but dust build up alone isn't likely to
    cause the kind of behavior you're describing, unless we are talking some very serious buildup.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-02-13 at 17:48.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As it has been mentioned, the first thing to do is cleaning.

Second is to have the latest BIOS version.

If the problem persists and if you have Dell Support Assist application, I suggest you remove it.

Julien

Thanks
    Speedfan monitors fan speed, temperatures and many other parameters.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Calimanco, SpeedFan now in v4.51 is the cats meow. After a good cleaning of fans, when you run SpeedFan you will notice that there is less noise and most importantly, lower temperatures. Apparently this is a very well designed proggy as it just Works!