Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Brand new Dell laptop + Windows 8.1 = (?)

Hello everyone. I saw several stickys about Windows 8, and I will go through them. I wanted to ask a specific question. My old PC crashed, but I have both an onsite backup and a Carbonite backup. Should I do my tweaking and setup of Windows 8.1 and then restore the onsite backup? Or should I do the restore and then the tweaks? Thank you very much for your time. Hope you have a great Valentine's Day tomorrow and Presidents Day on Monday.

Jim Whitt
    Pharmacist
    Temple, TX USA

Thanks
    I would think that after a serious crash you would want to be back up and running fast with the setup you started with.
    But this looks like it would be a decision entirely up to you on how to proceed.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My old PC crashed, but I have both an onsite backup and a Carbonite backup
    Can it be assumed, based on the old PC part, that those backups are not from a Win8.1 computer? If not, there may be some changes that won't work, even if they are from a Win8 machine, and may depend upon what was backed up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Can it be assumed, based on the old PC part, that those backups are not from a Win8.1 computer? If not, there may be some changes that won't work, even if they are from a Win8 machine, and may depend upon what was backed up.
    Good point, the backups are Windows 7, and are full backups. There are obviously a lot of system files to avoid.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerJim View Post
    Hello everyone. I saw several stickys about Windows 8, and I will go through them. I wanted to ask a specific question. My old PC crashed, but I have both an onsite backup and a Carbonite backup. Should I do my tweaking and setup of Windows 8.1 and then restore the onsite backup? Or should I do the restore and then the tweaks? Thank you very much for your time. Hope you have a great Valentine's Day tomorrow and Presidents Day on Monday.

Jim Whitt
    Pharmacist
    Temple, TX USA
    Before you do anything else create a full backup of the HDD in the new PC, so you can go back to that if necessary.

Then restore your Win7 backup to the HDD. You should be able to get the PC to boot to Win7, but you will probably have to work through Windows Activation, and you will need to sort out device drivers (download the Win7 drivers from the new PC's Support website).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Before you consider upgrading to Win 8/8.1 you should run the Win Upgrade Assistant to see what is and what isn't compatible, plugging in any peripherals such as printers.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...oad-online-faq

Thanks
    I have been slowly and surely working to get my Windows 8.1 laptop going. Suddenly yesterday, I am getting bombed by popup ads in both IE and Firefox. Some are redirecting me away from Windows Secrets Lounge before I can stop it. I have the popups blocked in the browser. Is this a function of the OS or the browser, or my current McAffee Security Suite? (I'm running a scan now to be safe, whatever safe is anymore. How do I fix this problem? Thanks a lot.

Jim W.

Thanks
    With typical British understatement, I would suggest that McAfee might not necessarily be at the very top of my list when considering which security suite to buy...

For your current redirection problem you might like to run Malwarebytes' AntiMalware.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You have managed to load a browser hijacker. Do you remember which software you last installed?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    It would probably help if the OP gave more details about what he means by "onsite backup".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The way I would approach this would be to boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and run AdwCleaner followed by Junkware Removal Tool then follow the steps in this article to reset the Host File in Win 8.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-28 at 08:58.

Thanks
    Thank you all for replying, my friends! My comments are in bold below. Sorry for typos. Jim

Sudo15

The way I would approach this would be to boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and run AdwCleaner followed by Junkware Removal Tool then follow the steps in this article to reset the Host File in Win 8. I will do, thank you!

2015-02-28, 06:32
    Coochin

It would probably help if the OP gave more details about what he means by "onsite backup". Not sure what OP is, but I have Memeo backup on a GoFlex eternal hard drive.

2015-02-28, 06:05
    Paul T

You have managed to load a browser hijacker. Do you remember which software you last installed? Tune Sweeper, an iTunes cleanup program I have used for a couple years under Win 7.
    cheers, Paul

2015-02-28, 04:52
    BATcher

With typical British understatement, I would suggest that McAfee might not necessarily be at the very top of my list when considering which security suite to buy...

For your current redirection problem you might like to run Malwarebytes' AntiMalware. My British cousin, McAfee came with the box and it has not let me down before. I have used M.A. Have just not loaded it in the new box yet.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    OP=Opening Poster

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Seems unlikely it's tune sweeper, any other software you loaded, buttons you clicked on while browsing?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Seems unlikely it's tune sweeper, any other software you loaded, buttons you clicked on while browsing?

cheers, Paul
    Not that I am aware of. I was pretty focused on fixing iTunes. How can a program I've used for years suddenly become a browser hijacker?

I tried every technique I could to boot into safe mode with networking with no success. The tools found stuff and deleted them. But the browsers are still hijacked, I assume because I couldn't do it in safe mode. Do I still try the to reset the Host file?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast