Thread: repeated BSODs

Thanks

repeated BSODs

Since 1/1/2015, I've experienced 3 BSODs about 2 weeks apart on my Dell Latitude Laptop D630. In between BSODS my laptop works fine.

OS Win 7 32-bit Pro SP1, 2 MB RAM, programs include free versions of AVAST and Malwarebytes's Antimalware along with Office 2010

Following Satrow's advice in November, 2014, I prepared SysNativeFileCollectionApp.zip and System Diagnostics Report.zip.
    Both are attached.

As I was born BC (before computers), please make your suggestions as lucid as possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

Charles
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by csmart4125; 2015-02-18 at 13:11. Reason: add attachments

Thanks
    Looks like 2GB of RAM is not quite cutting it for you.
    Either reduce the load (cut down on some memory intensive background processes) or add more memory to the system.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2015-02-16)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    2GB of RAM used to be deemed okay for Win 7 x32bit but it depends upon what you have running and what were you doing when the BSODs occurred.

Have a look in your Startup menu by going Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Click on the Startup tab and see how many programs you have in there which will be running in the background and taking up memory.

You can usually get by with all of those disabled, but if you uninstall any of the related programs, re-enable them first before uninstalling as you will be left with orphaned files and those entries will remain in msconfig.

Uninstalling rarely or no longer used programs and doing a Defrag can also help Virtual Memory.

Although you will have had your computer a while now, did you dump any of Dell's bloatware when you got it ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2015-02-16)

Thanks
    It appears that you are running Avast, MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware and Windows Defender(, the last of which I think should have been disabled when Avast was installed. I run the free version of Avast too and my Windows Defender service startup was changed to Manual and no longer runs when I installed Avast... but your Windows Defender service shows as still running).

Looking at WERALL.txt (in SysnativeFileCollectionApp) it appears that SuperAntiSpyware hung then crashed on 2/10/2015.

Looking at the System Diagnostics Report I note the differences between memory usage (physical and virtual) by Avast, MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware.
    results.png
    Click to enlarge

I may be mistaken but my understanding is that the Working Set is basically how much physical RAM is needed to keep the process in memory without incurring a page fault and the Commit size shows the amount of virtual memory (swap file) used. (Have a look at What are these different kinds of memory usage in Windows 7 task manager? for more info.)

My take on the possible cause of your BSODs is SuperAntiSpyware. Despite its process having a working set that's a 10th the size of both Avast and MBAM, it apparently uses much more of the swap file than both Avast and MBAM.

One way of checking would be to un-install SuperAntiSpyware and see whether you experience any more BSODs.

PS - Did this laptop have another AV solution installed prior to Avast? The reason I ask is because I've recently dealt with an issue where Avast didn't install properly because AVG had not been fully un-installed beforehand and I was wondering whether this was the reason Windows Defender had been left running by the Avast installer.

PPS - Whilst your laptop appears to have the latest BIOS installed, the Dell Support website shows Dell Latitude D630 T7100 came with either Windows XP or Vista installed. You're running Windows 7 and WERALL.txt shows a Windows.old folder. Was this laptop upgraded from Vista?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2015-02-18)

Thanks
    Sudo,

How would I stop unneeded programs from running when I start up my computer.

Thanks.

Charles

Thanks

Smile

Rick,

It had Norton Antivirus installed; however, I've reinstalled Windows 7 since uninstalling NAV. How would I turn off Windows Defender?

Yes, I did upgrade my laptop from Windows XP. When I upgraded to Windows 7, I contacted Dell and obtained advice on upgrading my drivers. Is there something I should do with the Windows.old folder

I'm going to read your link on the different types of memory. If the BSOD recurs, I'll then uninstall Super Antispyware. Also, I'm going to increase my RAM to 3 GB.

Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts on this problem.

Charles

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by csmart4125 View Post
    Sudo,

How would I stop unneeded programs from running when I start up my computer.

Thanks.

Charles
    Click on the Start orb - type msconfig then press enter.

Click on the Startup tab and you will see the programs that are loaded on start up where you can uncheck those not required - Apply - OK and follow the prompt to reboot to effect the changes.

The only program I have in my Startup menu is for my Epson printer as it works better that way when I need it, but you may want to keep Adobe and Java updaters enabled so that you'll receive notification when there are updates for those programs.

This article will show you how to turn Windows Defender off http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...-off=windows-7
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-16 at 04:23.

Thanks
    Charles - Have a look at this How do I remove the Windows.old folder article.

Thanks
    Charles, can you turn off CCleaner's auto start function, please, it seems to be removing any memory dumps before we can use them for analysis. Don't use CCleaner again until you've cleared up the BSOD issues.

WER (in MSInfo32) has recorded a 0xFE_usbhub!UsbhHubProcessChangeWorker+a2_Win7 BSOD. There are other BSODs logged but without type details. 0xFE is a USB driver problem, on a notebook, that could mean a range of devices involved: webcam, wireless adapter, card reader, external USB drive, USB thumbdrive, ... but MSInfo32 didn't flag any problem devices when it was run.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2015-02-18)

Thanks
    Rick, I removed Windows.old folder. Thanks for the link.

Charles

Thanks
    Sudo,

I've turned off all programs on start up except Intel, Avast, Alps pointing device. Should I continue to run these on start up?

Thanks for your suggestions and the link.

Charles

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by csmart4125 View Post
    Sudo,

I've turned off all programs on start up except Intel, Avast, Alps pointing device. Should I continue to run these on start up?

Thanks for your suggestions and the link.

Charles
    Yes, you can leave those, although Avast would reinstate itself even when unchecked.

There is an option to uncheck in CCleaner so that it doesn't remove the mini dump files, but as satrow advises, leave CCleaner alone for now.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-16 at 17:58.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2015-02-16)

Thanks
    Satrow,

I removed CCleaner from the list of programs under the start tab in system configuration. Is this what you meant by turning "off CCleaner's auto start function"?

What should I do regarding "0xFE_usbhub!UsbhHubProcessChangeWorker+a2_Win 7 BSOD"?

In the past I've updated the software for my MS Wireless Intellimouse 2.0, but not the Wireless Natural Keyboard, whenever I've reloaded Windows. I just updated the software for the mouse using Windows Update. Device Manager lists all devices as operating satisfactorily. Since both of these are USB devices, would updating the software for the keyboard help

Thanks for your help in resolving my BSOD problem.

Charles
    Last edited by csmart4125; 2015-02-16 at 18:19.

Thanks
    Auto start software should really be turned off within the software itself, or by using a tool like Autoruns. MSConfig is really for troubleshooting, it can lead to glitches and wild goose chases down the line when used as a permanent tool. CCleaner's Options > Settings page has the option (I always turn off the top 2 on that page, it's very rare that I would use exactly the same settings on consecutive runs - it's a powerful tool).

With the USB BSOD, I was hoping you'd be able to flesh out/remember more details on what was happening at the time of the crashes, with 2 unknown crashes and no dump data for the one we have some detail on, it's close to be impossible to pin down the cause.