Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Cool New Life for the old PC

Today, I got a new SSD drive for my ten year old AMD based Desktop.

I've tried several things to get some more life and performance out of my old PC.
    But programs just keep getting bigger and bigger and harder for an old PC to run them.

So finally I got a really good deal on a PNY, 120 GB SSD drive, so I took a chance and bought it.
    I've always liked the Flash Drives from PNY, so I figured that an SSD from PNY would be good too.

So today, the mailman brought me my new SSD hard drive and I immediately set about
    installing it, partitioning it, formatting it and installing Windows XP-Pro-SP3 OEM on it.

The performance difference between a standard SATA II drive and the SSD is amazing.

So, now my ten year old Desktop has a new lease on life. Heck, it might just outlive me now.

Cheers Mates!
    TechnoMage
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

tonyl (2015-02-14)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Food for thought! I wonder if it would be as good with an IDE setup, though?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    Food for thought! I wonder if it would be as good with an IDE setup, though?
    AFAIK SSDs are not available with IDE (AKA PATA [Parallel ATA) connectors. If the motherboard has a spare PCI slot you could use a PCI-SATA card to connect an SSD.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    AFAIK SSDs are not available with IDE (AKA PATA [Parallel ATA) connectors. If the motherboard has a spare PCI slot you could use a PCI-SATA card to connect an SSD.
    That's right, they're not. But there are adaptors available, for the power lead too. You obviously wouldn't get SATA speed, but there might still be a performance increase. Then again, I suppose a PATA controller would only control one SATA drive. And I have four drives...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    That's right, they're not. But there are adaptors available, for the power lead too. You obviously wouldn't get SATA speed, but there might still be a performance increase. Then again, I suppose a PATA controller would only control one SATA drive. And I have four drives...
    As I see it the question is "why bother messing around trying to adapt old technology to work with newer technology?"
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    My only suggestion is to make sure that AHCI is enabled to take full advantage of the SSD performance.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As I see it the question is "why bother messing around trying to adapt old technology to work with newer technology?"
    Apart from the fact that all knowledge is grist to the mill, I refuse to play the game. I'm not about to throw my stuff away just because it's old. It's bad for the planet. And I like my old stuff, anyway. Especially as it works like new.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

DrWho (2015-02-14),Reziac (2015-03-07)

Thanks
    One problem that no one has mentioned, XP doesn't support TRIM. An explanation of why you need it is here. As Coochin said, putting a Ferrari engine in your old van wont make it into a Ferrari.

http://www.techspot.com/news/52835-u...-and-more.html

Thanks
    NO, but it sure would give you one FAST van! Eh?

I just figured, that if I wrote about something that works wonders for my ten year old PC, y'all would give me a hundred reasons why it wouldn't work. Nothing new there.

Well, I hate to burst your negative bubble, but it does work.

My startup and shutdown are much faster now, and program loading and running is much faster too.
    And it's probably the cheapest upgrade I've done to my old PC, at just $52.95.

So all the negatives aside, at least for me and my PC, it's working like a champ. I'm definitely getting my money's worth.

The Doctor

Thanks
    Those who are easily befuddled, will find this very disturbing indeed:

Since I've heard that an SSD should not be defragged by the normal method, I called on an old trick that I've been using on standard HD's for many years.

I did a Ghost backup of my SSD drive, to another HD. Then after checking the Backup Image File for integrity, I immediately did a Ghost Restore, back to the SSD.

Here's the result. A drive perfectly defragged and in order with no spaces between files and NO fragmentation.

I do a total cleanup on any drive, including the deletion of the Pagefile, before I do a Ghost Backup.
    Then after the Ghost Restore and a reboot of the system, the OS makes a new Pagefile, placing it right at the end of the data.
    It all makes for a very orderly and efficient hard drive.

Yes, I always install XP to a FAT-32 formatted hard drive. It works very efficiently and gives me 100% control over every file in my HD, even from a DOS boot disk. There is NO such thing as a file that I cannot delete, move or rename.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There is no real performance advantage having an SSD defragmented, access to every sector happens at the same speed.

How to replicate Trim in XP would be my concern. Your SSD will slow down gradually because you are not freeing up unused blocks. I have read that FreeSpaceCleaner will do it for you, but I have not tried it. There is also discussion that SSDs with Sandforce controllers don't improve after using FSC.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    SSDs are not HDDs, Doc. TRIM helps with wear leveling, ensuring that all blocks are used at about the same rate, meaning the blocks last as long as possible before needing to be replaced.

Your current method looks like the first quarter of the drive will be dying before the last quarter gets any use.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure they're available: http://www.amazon.com/128GB-KingSpec...lid+State+Disk

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Doc, I've been using them for many years now on XP systems...TRIM and AHCI so command queuing works and such are waaaaay overblown, good "garbage collection" works and even computers only equipped with SATA 1 busses are mucho faster with a SSD. I don't agree with Doc feeling the need to have a perfect defrag although his method probably doesn't hurt the SSD too much. Pointless, it is, Yoda would say.

Thanks
    Well this is my first test with an SSD drive, so I'm experimenting with everything I can think of, to see what it will do and what it will not.

If I trash the drive, it won't be the first Piece of hardware that I've trashed in 35 years. All's fair in Love, War and hardware testing. Eh?

Right now, she's running like a scalded cat, , , much faster than my old 1TB, SATA III Hybrid drive.
    And I can do a Ghost backup on her in just five minutes and a Ghost Restore in just a couple of minutes more.

Running on my SATA II motherboard, that old SATA III drive wasn't all that fast.

Next I might try the little SSD in an HP laptop, just to see what kind of performance increase it can give that old lappy.

Still testing......

Cheers mates and thanks for all the Helpful hints, and even the Un-Helpful comments.

The Doctor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast