Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

KB3021952 Breaks IE 11.0.9600.17358, Windows 7

The cumulative security update KB3021962 breaks IE, so it crashes repeatedly. This also happened with the previous (I think it was the previous) cumulative update, which I never did install. It eventually disappeared. But it sounds like this is pretty important for security. I have no idea what is causing the crashing, other than it has to do with the update. If I install it, IE crashes repeatedly (meaning the little window keeps popping open over and over again, saying it had to close and restart). Rolling back to the restore point just before the update fixes it.

My computer is relatively new; I bought it last July. It was fine at first, but it's been showing signs of something going wrong for awhile now. I've scanned multiple times and ways for malware and can't find anything. It's running very, very slowly.

I'd like to spend a few days reformatting it and starting from scratch, but I have too much serious medical stuff going on to concentrate on it long enough at the moment. I thought maybe, if this sounds familiar to anyone, maybe someone has an idea for something I could try to fix the problem.

Some other details that may or may not be helpful. I installed MS Publisher, Word and Excel. Publisher works okay, except that the desktop icon will not display any of the usual images. Adobe Reader also will not display any of its usual icons. Both have the default image of a folder with icons in it. Both Excel and Word will not open properly. They will open eventually, but Excel wants to configure as if it's the first time, every time. Word doesn't say anything about configuring, but it takes about a minute and a half to open. I have uninstalled Excel and tried to uninstall Word, but it doesn't show up on the list of installed programs, so I don't know how to manage that.

If I could fix things without wiping the computer and starting over, that would be wonderful, so I hope something here rings a bell with someone.

Vicki

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    What are your hardware specifications?
    What programs are you using for the scans?
    Does installing or uninstalling the patch have anything to do with the other program issues you stated?
    After installing the patch, have you tried running IE with add-ons disabled?

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    See how the computer performs in a clean boot - it could be slowing because of an accumulation of programs in the Startup menu. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-gb

You can usually get by without any programs under the Startup tab.

Also download the free version of CCleaner to clean out the temp file cache etc. and the second link is for how to use it.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

http://www.howtogeek.com/113382/how-...9-tips-tricks/

CCleaner may not have cleaned all of the cache so go Start orb - type %temp% and press enter.

If that file is heavily populated, click on Organize - Select all - Organize - Delete - Confirm - Check the box for Do this for all current items then click on Skip.

There should only be the Debug file left but if there are other sizable files, then repeat the process.

You will need to empty the Recycle Bin if you've carried out this operation, or CCleaner can do it for you.

Cleaning may or not resolve the IE problem.

As for the program icons etc. open a command prompt by going Start orb - type cmd.exe - right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and enter sfc /scannow and let us know what that reports.

This article may also help you with the icon cache http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-rebuild.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-15 at 06:24.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

Unfortunately, I haven't kept records of what I've done exactly. I know I've done deep scans with Vipre, which is the current version and definitions up to date. I also went somewhere online and did a scan with an online utility, but can't remember which one. Installing and uninstalling the patch has no effect on the other issues. I haven't tried running IE without add-ons yet. I have only two--Vipre and LastPass. No, maybe not. When I look, I find more than that...Shockwave Flash Object, Adobe PDF Reader, Windows Media Player (which is behaving strangely--not necessarily the add-on, but the program itself--but that may be another issue), Microsoft Silverlight, HP Network Check, LastPass, Research (?), Add to Evernote 5, Send by Bluetooth to, Vipre Search Guard, Vipre Search Guard Helper, and 4 for an old printer I don't have anymore.

Specs
    HP ProBook 450 G1
    Intel Core i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    64 Bit OS
    Windows 7 Pro SP1

WDC WD5000BPKX-60HPJ SCSI Disk Device
    HP DVDRAM GU90N SCSI CdRom Device
    Brother MFC-9130CW LAN

Logitech Mouse, wireless with USB dongle

There's lots of stuff; I don't know what's important and what's not but it seems like a lot of info to inflict on readers. <<Oh, what's this??>> But this might have some relevance. I found an item that reports a failed install. I don't know what it is. It's under "Other Devices" and it's identified as BCM20702A0. The "physical device object name" is \Device\USBPDO-3. The "Parent" is USB\VID_8087&PID_8000\5&167f66d0&0&1. There are a long list of these, but those two looked like they might be helpful.

As I have the energy, I'll look around more and maybe try disabling more of the add-ons. I had major surgery last Monday, and I can look a little and then I have to take [another] nap.

I will also read through and try suggestions in the next post.

Thanks!

Vicki

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    What are your hardware specifications?
    What programs are you using for the scans?
    Does installing or uninstalling the patch have anything to do with the other program issues you stated?
    After installing the patch, have you tried running IE with add-ons disabled?

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That update has been working fine on my two Win7 Desktops.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    That update has been working fine on my two Win7 Desktops.
    Working on my 3 desktops also. My guess is that it may not be update related, but you never know.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This article may have something in it to help with the WMP problems when you feel up to trying them http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...ix-wmp-utility

Stick your details into http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/p...ts.oid=5405166 and it will give you the drivers available for your computer.

Start with the Chipset.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I should have mentioned that I know the problem lies in my computer, not in the update. I usually check Susan Bradley's list of okay updates before I install, so I knew it should be good to go. Whatever is wrong with my computer does not get along with the IE update. This happened with the previous critical IE update, as well, and I decided to skip it. I don't want to keep skipping them, though, and it seems like it will take me forever to get around to wiping the computer and starting over. I put it off because it never goes smoothly, and I get all frustrated.

As my energy allows, I will look into suggestions offered here and see what I can figure out.

Thanks,
    Vicki

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you run any hardware tests?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Vickie,

I have had the SAME Problem with Update KB3021952 on my Win7 HP desktop. X1952 broke my Internet connection after installing it on 1-2-15 and last tried on 2-28-15. I am done with x1952 until I hear a positive answer on this bug. The Internet came back fine, when I uninstalled x1952.

Another (IE-11 cumulative update), BEFORE KB3021952, that may be a similar (CUMULATIVE IE-11), update that Failed the SAME way as x1952, (Internet connection Lost), was when I installed (and had to back off cause it failed INET), was KB3008923, which I Installed on 12-16-14. I never did try to reinstall KB3008923, and it seemed to disappear and turn into > KB3021952, or the NEXT IE-11 Cumulative Update. Again, the Internet came to life fine, after uninstalling x8923.

Neither KB3008923 or KB3021952 have worked on EITHER of my Win7's PC's. (Desktop & Laptop).

I searched the Net and found this Problem HERE on this Forum.
    I have no idea what is causing this failure of IE-11 updates, but I am staying away from them until I hear an answer that makes sense.

Also, I have the SAME problem on my Win7 HP laptop.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    KB3008923 installed successfully on my Win7 on 2/10/15 and KB3021952 followed on 2/11/15.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Kb3008923 & kb3021952

I am glad it works on someone's PC.

I just talked to 2 friends that have Win7 PC's, and they also see the same problem, as my (2) Win7 PC's.
    I wonder why KB3008923 mysteriously disappeared as an IE-11 cumulative update, and seems to have re-appeared as KB3021952?

I have had no problem with the Internet without these Updates.

Thanks
    KB3008923 installed fine for me on 3 win 7 computers however if you go here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3008923 there was an advisory on it, read the known issues.
    KB3021952 also installed ok for me, read about known issues here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3021952 .
    Maybe you'll spot something that may affect you since it seems odd that all 3 of your win 7 computers had problems.

Hope this helps

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

jerrylite (2015-02-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You so Much for your input.

After reviewing your M'soft links, and the TONS of associated potential problems with (IE-11 cumulative Update), KB3021952, it is clear that blindly doing what your Windows Update Site says to do has many flaws. Depending on several things (too many to mention here), many Updates can cause problems.

I feel Microsoft should be a lot more clear about their updates, and the SEQUENCE of them, instead of just sending them out, and depending on how you have your Win Update Install schedule setup, either you manually install them, or let Windows auto install as they come out. I have my PC's always setup to have 'Win-Updates' send me a notice that there are new updates available. But even with that update setup, you can still trip over updates failing and having to find out why. After reading all the things that could go wrong with just KB3021952 (as well as several others), I am sad to learn that they are sending out updates that need to be pre-looked into, before installing, depending on what you're running on your PC.

Absolutely, we (unfortunately), need to preview Updates before installing.

I have had very few Win-Update problems until recently, and I've used Windows since 3.1.
    Last edited by jerrylite; 2015-02-28 at 15:48.

Thanks
    Personally, when I do WU's, I do them manually and click on the "more info" link to see what they relate to. If they look like they may be a problem or something that doesn't relate to my setup, then I just wait until I see if anyone else has a problem with them. Critical updates I usually install and hope for the best.
    Seems like there have been a large number of updates to fix previous updates over the last year. Maybe they are all working on win 10 and aren't paying much attention to what they are doing with the older OS's. Who knows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast