Thread: Data Partition

Thanks

Data Partition

Linc Spector's "Hard-drive partitioning...." article from three years ago has provided food for thought. I might have been over eager in moving all my Data from my C: drive to my D: drive(both are partitions on the same HDD).

First problem: DATA (D:) now contains a System Volume Information Folder of 134GB. Is it supposed to? My (C:) drive has one, but it is only 5.35GB. That SVI Folder occupies too much Back-Up space, so I would like to eliminate it, if possible.

Second: After rereading the above article, I might have moved more Folders than required to DATA (D:). Can I move unnecessary Folders back to (C:)? If so, which ones? Without the SVI Folder, (D:) would only have 14GB, a manageable Back-Up number.

I bring up this subject because my secondary computer is partitioned in the same manner, but DATA (D:) has no SVI Folder. All assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mike,

Turn off System Restore for the D: drive; this will clear the SVI folder.

Zig

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should always exclude SVI from backups as it doesn't contain anything you can realistically restore. The same goes for temp files.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanks gang!!! The restore size for DATA was the exact size of the SVI. HAL9000(primary computer) threw a hissy-fit when I re-sized and eliminated it, but it's gone.

That takes care of the first problem. Now does anyone have the answer to the second one???

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It depends on which folders that you've moved from C: to D: - exactly which folders are you talking about??

Zig

Thanks
    I formatted D:\ and did a thoro disk check. As I reinstalled files, Win7 insisted on adding Recycle and SVI folders. The SVI contains one trace file of 20KB. I am unable to delete those folders. However, the new size of the partition is a vast difference over the old one. The advice on not including non-system partitions in System Restore should be proclaimed from the roof tops. That advice is a space saver!!!