Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Win 7 update for x64 (KB3021917) crashed my system

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3021917), has crashed my system 'BSOD'. Forced restart, update reverted changes, pc on reverted changes extremely slow. Optimized system to speed up processes. Helped a bit, but now I am having occasional screen flashes throughout system, internet included. Not that it is affecting the performance of the computer, but it is annoying to say the least.

I have checked out other forums. Not getting the correct answer. Have been to windows/supp....not much help there either.

I would appreciate some help.

Tx, Avamy

PS: the internet is turning into a scary place. Its not like it used to be, just a bit of spyware and some viruses, now its full blown malware, cookie spies, DDoS attacks. Just the other day I shut down Google Chrome as it had been compromised on my side. I have left FB and closed my account there as well. IE, quite frankly does not even operate on my pc. Its a laugh and a half.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This month's updates came in two stages as it looked as if MS had to patch a patch.

Event Viewer or Blue Screen View may have something on your BSOD, but you could use your restore points to prior the original updates, reset IE to defaults then install the updates again - running them twice for the later single update.

I think one of them had been pulled so the newer install may not have the same effect.

If you get another BSOD, post the output of Blue Screen View and the BSOD guys should be able to give you remedial advice.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-16 at 05:18.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have IE at all!

Took it off because of all the errors and worm type activities.

I have installed IE at lower revisions, but does not work at all.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What was the last version of IE were you using and did you disable it in Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off ?

I use IE 10 quite happily with HitmanPro.Alert to guard it and when a browser becomes buggy it's usually due to add-ons/Toolbars that you could have picked up when downloading other programs.

Scanning with AdwCleaner and then Junkware Removal Tool can be beneficial where that is the case and the Anvi Browser Repair Tool generally does what it says when aspects of the browser are at fault.

The link for JRT is lower down the AdwCleaner page.

Re-enable IE and see how it goes after running those tools.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update installed via 'Bit Defender' total security 2015. OK that's good news for me, however since that incident, my computer has been acting up. Firefox freezing, G mail stuttering, ccleaner freezing. Computer slow.

I am still going to use AdwCleaner. Used it before. Will also use ABRT to check browser. Will see what the outcome is tomorrow.

Tx for the help so-far

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Haven't had any problems yet with KB3021917 on my Win7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I know someone who dumped Bitdefender because it was slowing their computer to a crawl - how does it perform in Safe Mode with Networking where Bitdefender won't be loaded ?

Don't forget to run JRT after AdwCleaner - it takes a bit longer to run but will produce a report when it's done.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have not tried running in safe mode yet, however, I deleted all instances of IE 11, and re-installed IE 10...This is stable, just received a security update for IE 10, so things are rosy there.

Ran AdwCleaner, no Problems and ran RKill. RKill terminated a few infected shortcuts, but indicated that .exe, .bat, and .com associations were fiddled with. Defender disabled. Thats about it. Then Scotty, identified that Automatic updates had been turned off... Sounds like malware. I am using 'Emisoft latest signatures', and a newer effective program called 'Loaris Trojan Remover', but alas, these programs including bitdefender say I am running a sqeaky clean system

Last of all, I have run Belarc Advisor, which has picked some major issues, i.e. oracle Java Critical Security Patches. There are 3 of them, and 2 Critical Windows Security updates. Now the confusing part is that both institutions are telling me that my system is up to date.

There is definitely a problem. About 5 minutes ago, it took me 30+ minutes to write 5 to 6 lines

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JRT Run. A few issues picked up

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So has JRT cleared things up ?

Some methods to reset the file associations.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/file-a...vista-released

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fi...for-windows-7/

Perhaps a sfc /scannow may pick up on something - you should still be able to run IE 11 problem free.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-17 at 18:22.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

avamy (2015-02-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo15,

No it hasn't, This morning, I went into safe-mode with networking, and re-did everything with a few extras; I started with AdwCleaner, then JRT, then RKill, then RogueKiller, then Karpersky's ttdskiller, and finaly CookieSpy. I then cleaned up using CCleaner and Privazer.

Rogue killer came up with 25 Registry issues, and JRT with one issue. So hopefully clean now.

Only issue now I think is the security issues that Belarc Advisory picked up... Win-update says I am covered, and Java says I have the latest platform.

I wrote to Belarc, and they have been kind enough to help me. I have sent a attached report to them, and they are going to see what they can do to help me.

Sudo15, my pc seems to be working fine off line, but if I go to the web, especially gmail, everything slows down; I even have problems closing tabs. I have never really taken notice but since about June 2013, I can only spend 20minutes tops, before the website I am on slows down and even freezes.

I used to spend a lot of time on FB, but I had a internet connection problem, that I could not be on for more than 3mins, before I was knocked off, anyway that is old news, I have since terminated FB.

Google Chrome was another one, it was compromised, so I got rid of it. Now using Firefox and many thanks to you IE 10

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try this MS IE Fixit to see if it will stop the freezes http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie...ce_and_safety/ but there are quite a few other solutions you can try from http://www.gegeek.com/documents/F94C...749243515.html

To see if there's anything untoward running on your computer, download/run Process Explorer https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/.../bb896653.aspx

Click on Options, ensure Verify Signatures is checked and then hover over VirusTotal.com and ensure/check that option.

The Virus Total check will give you a column in blue but can include items in red.

Where the numerator/~50 is high in red, then treat those with suspicion and a Google will give you more info on those files.

Sometimes after I'd run Disk Cleanup as an admin following MS's monthly updates to clean out obsolete updates, Belarc Advisor could give me an alert for a missing MS one.

It's favourite for a while dated back to one for July 20013 but as a check for updates said I was up to date, I just used to ignore it and eventually that alert would go away.

Java is currently v8 u31 so if you are behind in your version then you should update.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-18 at 08:35.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

avamy (2015-02-19)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did not install 3021917, as I am suspicious of this kind of "enhancement" and not sure if I need it. It is supposed to diagnose performance issues for upgrade to a newer version of Windows (I have Win 7 x64), but I have no intention of upgrading. When I eventually move to a later version of Windows, it will be on a new computer with that version pre-installed, so I am probably going to put 3021917, and any others similar, into the "hide" bin and forget about it.

Does anyone have any positive reports/comments about 3021917?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I installed it and haven't noticed any problems, although I run IE 10 and not IE 11 but no two Win 7 installs appear to be alike, given that some have problems and some don't.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

avamy (2015-02-19)

Thanks
    I also installed it on 2- win 7 64 bit and 1- win 7 32 bit ( all with IE 11 ) and have encountered no problems whatsoever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast